Chapter Sixteen

I can't stop the anxiety as we have to put the boxes into two vans. One to bring with us, one to the donation centre. Thank god we're keeping the flat so the big things can stay. I hold my breath throughout it, my sore muscles from Thomas's workouts giving me mild distraction.

With the things being shipped, we pack our must haves into three bags each. A rucksack, carry on and a hold bag. Thomas packs his stuff easily, but I struggle. I know what I want and what I need, but putting the things in the bags, zipping them up. It begins to make me nauseous.

"You, princess, look pale." Thomas says as he checks on me.

"Where do my certificates go?" I ask him, the red file in my hand, shaking slightly.

"Carry on or rucksack, up to you." He says. "Best to keep them close by. Take pictures of them too, just in case." I whimper at the added task, and he kneels next to me. "I'll do it, you finish packing the rest." He says, taking my red folder and he starts to snap pictures.

"Thank you." I breathe out.

"What is it that makes you so anxious?" He asks. "Do you not want to go?"

"I really do." I assure him. "I just don't like... the unknown."

"Then tell me what is known." He says. "What do you know about what our life is going to look like?"

"Well, you'll be there." I breathe out, finding the most comfort in the most obvious thing. "I'll be in a hospital, which has always been a safe space. I'll have a home with you. We'll visit lakes and mountains and save lives." I say, suddenly feeling peace trickle in. And I begin to breathe better.

"The colour is coming back to your cheeks." Thomas says, caressing my cheek with his fingers. "So beautiful." He whispers, kissing my forehead, setting me on the path to tranquillity.

"Are you done packing?" I ask him.

"I am." He nods.

"Then can you stay?" I ask. "I feel calm when you're here."

"Anything for you, princess." He says, keeping me distracted until my bags are packed and are waiting by the door. Thomas wraps his arms around me, and I nuzzle in.

"Just a few more hours until this place isn't home anymore." I mumble.

"Not true." He says. "We'll just have more than one."

"Fair enough." I smile softly, leaning back to kiss him. He finally kisses me properly, enjoying teasing me over the past few days.

"I'm proud of you." He whispers.

"Can I ask you something?" I mumble.

"Anything." He says, kissing me sweetly as he gently turns me to face him.

"Can I give you the money back?" I ask.

"What?" He asks.

"The money to marry you, I don't want it." I tell him and look down. "I want to be married to you. Not for money, not even for the hospital. I did it for you. I don't want the money."

"Hannah, it's yours. I can't take it back. It would go against the contract; I can't accept it." He says apologetically. "But I do find that ridiculously sweet of you."

"Okay." I sigh softly. "I had to ask anyway."

"Always." He says, kissing me again. I smile gently against his lips, and I groan. "Cuddles?" He asks.

"With kisses?" I ask, pushing him back gently into his room. He chuckles and nods, brushing my hair behind my ear before he kisses me and pulls me back with him, landing on the bed.

Love Contractuallyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें