onE

"Didn't I tell you to start sleeping inside like a normal person?"

The peace that stole over her when he was near was really starting to irritate her. Especially since he was on her last nerve.

She didn't even bother to look his way when his voice came to her out of the dark.

Her courtship wasn't going according to plan.

He fought her tooth and nail. He only came around every couple of days. Just enough. As soon as she started to get itchy, as soon as she started feeling like something was missing, then he showed up.

She summoned him, but he didn't come. She sent him cute little messages, and he ignored her.

He only came around when he had to.

"I find it odd that you think a person sleeping outside isn't normal. Don't you do it all the time?"

"It's normal for a wolf. Not for a teenage girl who's prone to trouble."

It took everything she had to not go to him. It was her first instinct now. Her second was to touch him. Breathe him in.

The asshole.

Taking a deep breath, she wrapped her arms around her waist and looked up at the bells softly tinkling above her.

It was well past midnight, and the moon was hidden behind clouds. She couldn't see anything above her but the sounds of the bells and the leaves of her tree ruffling in the wind filled the night.

Her face was damp with tears.

Then he showed up. His warmth wrapping around her like a hug. Damn him.

He didn't come because of her tears. Her tears came and went these days. The only reason he was here is because he'd stayed away as long as he could.

Three seemed to be the magical number. He was strong enough to stay away for three days.

She wasn't as strong as him.

Or as stubborn.

Vallen made no sound as he moved to sit under her tree.

She turned her head to look at him, even though she wouldn't be able to see any of his features. She wanted to give him a tail. Or a forked tongue. But as she'd learned a few days ago, she was unable to do him any harm.

Even just for fun.

Her magic worked on him, her spells, but the moment her magic would do him the least little of harm, she couldn't do it. Physically couldn't do it.

It was like the feeling that kept people from sticking their hands in hot grease. And no, not common sense. It was more like self-preservation.

She could no more hurt him than she could hurt herself.

Not that a tail would hurt him, so what was the problem?

He already had a tail, anyway.

She looked back up towards the sound of ringing bells and she enjoyed the night breeze on her face.

"How long are you going to do this?"

"Sleep outside?" Nevaeha turned her head back towards him. "Court someone who doesn't want to be courted? I can go back to school tomorrow. How are you going to stay away from me, then?"