23. The Fight

It can't be them. It doesn't make sense. This doesn't add up. Chester must have said that just to me to irritate me.

Why am I still thinking about that?

It's Monday. It's the first day of our fourth week. I should be letting my mind restart. I don't know what I'm doing. Is something wrong with me?

I wish I could laugh at the thought, but it haunts me. It makes my head and stomach hurt. I'm sick with paranoia. It's a dark cloud hovering over me.

And the tasks aren't helping with it. I'm at set five but they're getting more ridiculous and childish. Those are things that I can still laugh at.

But... a part of me worries that it won't last for long. That soon they'll make my blood run cold.

"Lynx? Did you still need me to follow you?" Jack asks and out of instinct I say, "Yes."

"What are we doing?'

"The last page in my notebook."

I'm on auto. My body is answering when my mind can't keep up.

I watch Jack open the notebook and scan the page. When he finishes, he looks up at me with the most confusion I've seen on his face. I shrug and he flips it around. On the page, I used three different inks. Some sections are numbered and others have shapes beside them. Half of the words are smudged together in a scrawl.

"I don't know what I'm reading."

I chuckle and take it from him. After reading it myself, I said, "We're going to talk to Celine and Adelaide about the rumors. Well, I'm going to and you're going to be there like a witness."

"Why?"

"Do you trust me?"

"I-yes?"

"Good. Adelaide wanted to know my grades in exchange for dyeing my hair- thank you again for your help- but why?" I ask, tilting my head at my targets. They're sitting with each other, talking. I know it isn't about me because Celine looks around whenever she's anxious. I'm certain they're talking about what most girls do- looks and boys.

"I could get someone else if you're more comfortable with that?" I say to Jack, hearing him anxiously tap his foot. I cross my arms and add, "Bexley maybe."

"No, I-I can go!"

"You have to be certain."

"I am!"

"Okay, let's go."

I take a deep breath before making my way to the table. Celine perks up and waves to me, making Adelaide spin around. Her expression is cold, her eyes telling me to leave. But I won't, she doesn't have that power over me.

"Hey!" I say, waving to them. Adelaide shakes her head and turns back around, but Celine says, "Hey! Are you coming to sit with us?"

"Only if you're okay with it."

"Absolutely! Is that okay Adelaide?" Celine asks, smiling sweetly at her. She nods, keeping her head forward. I sit beside Adelaide and nod for Jack to sit next to me. When he does, I say, "I hope you don't mind him being here."

Celine laughs lightly, a sound that makes me uneasy, and says, "Of course not!"

"Lovely," I say, smiling awkwardly. Adelaide takes a deep breath before saying, "What do you want Kitty?"

My stomach turns and I look at Jack. He shrugs.

"Adelaide?" I ask, scooting away from her carefully. She's been avoiding me, and now I finally have the chance to confront her.