Epilogue

Author's Note: Originally, the epilogue was going to be longer, but this seemed like the best place for it to end. I'm so, so thankful to each and every one of you who was a part of this journey with me. Releasing this fic would not have been half as much fun if not for y'all's support. I'm going to miss your reviews! ^-^

For as happy as I am to share the ending of this story, I'm also a little sad that it's over. It's been such a fun and wild ride. <3

PS. If you want more Vaderkin time travel fics from us, maybe go check out By My Side, a fic where Anakin time travels from shortly after the framing to Christophsis. And keep your eyes open for the next Vaderkin time travel fics I've got planned! Show Me the Way, where Vader time travels from after his death back to ROTS in his own body, and Sky Walker, where Vader time travels from his death back to TPM... except he doesn't remember anything. ;)

~ Amina Gila

Three months later

Vader opens his eyes slowly, blinking up at the ceiling as the real world slowly filters back into his awareness. He feels... different, better, and for the first time in years, he doesn't immediately feel the constant pain that's become such a normal part of his existence. But that's to be expected, given that he underwent a number of surgeries to improve his quality of life and overall health.

Though he has yet to get the full report, he has a general idea of what parts of him have been healed. His internal organs, except his lungs, were fully healed back to their original organic state, and his time in a bacta tank should have mostly healed his skin as well. His lungs still require a respirator, though, and the implants for that were made in his throat – he can cover them easily, and he no longer requires a mask. He and Anakin designed lightweight, durable prosthetics as well, to replace the heavier ones he had before.

All in all, he's about as human as he can possibly get, given the severity and extent of the damage he suffered throughout the years. He can never go back to being fully human again, the way Anakin is, but he's made his peace with it. He's happy with the life and body he has now.

Moments after his awakening, Nala Se, her medical assistant, a female clone named Emerie, Kix, and several other medical personnel are swarming around him, taking his readings and making sure everything is working the way it should be. With the checkups complete, he cajoles Kix into letting him sit up to get visitors; he knows his family members have been rotating in and out, someone staying with him almost constantly for the full month that the procedures took. In that time, Anakin and Padme have been running the Empire.

Omega plops onto a chair at his bedside, leaning forward to give him a quick hug. "You do look better," she says, sitting back and beaming at him. "If your recovery rate is as fast as Anakin's, we'll be able to go back to Coruscant in a week or two."

Vader groans, almost surprised that he can do that now. He can control his breathing, too, and that is such a strange thing for him. The respirator implant helps him breathe, but it's not like his suit, which controlled his breathing for him. "I just want to get out of here," he admits. His voice is like Anakin's, too, and it's strange to hear; he's so used to the deeper tones of his vocoder.

Omega pats his hand. "I know. It won't be long, and we have so much to catch you up on. You won't be bored for a second."

... He should probably take her word for it.

In minutes, Anakin and Ahsoka enter the room, too, and Ahsoka immediately curls up next to him on his bed, leaning her head on his shoulder. "It's been so boring without you," she complains.

"I thought you were busy with the Hands," Vader answers dryly.

Ahsoka slouches down further, sulking. "... I was. Sometimes. But there's only two of them right now, and they're older than me."