Chapter 22 - Politics

Author's Note: In which Vader is being sort-of-but-maybe-not-exactly adorable, and Anakin has a not-good-very-bad talk with Padme. :')

~ Amina Gila

Anakin sighs heavily, rubbing his eyes, and pushing aside the datapad in front of him. He's been working since sunrise straight and it's shortly before noon now. He's exhausted. So many things are happening and so much has changed. Perhaps they should have paced things a little better, but it was important to move quickly on key issues to not only show the galaxy where they stand but also to pacify certain groups of Senators.

The former Separatist systems disliked the prospect of the Empire having a clone army, and really, Anakin can't blame them for their distrust... or claims that the Empire is using a slave army just like the Republic. Loath though he is to admit it, it's the truth.

But because of the recent decrees from Vader, the clones have effectively been freed. They have been granted their own, mostly uninhabited planet in the Outer Rim where they can settle down and build a community of their own, shaping it however they so choose. They were allowed the choice between staying in the army and leaving, and if they choose the latter, they are also afforded the option of either taking their armor and a blaster or credits. Many clones have left; nearly a third of the entire army, and the slack in security has been being covered by droids and newly hired individuals.

The clones who opt to remain are allowed to choose between security, special operations, or aid and relief missions.

Those who are part of aid and relief missions travel with supplies to the various worlds that have been worst affected by the war, supplies which are donated from Alderaan, Naboo, and other worlds which are offering to help. Other funds have also been allocated from military spending on both sides.

Clones who are part of the special operatives will be sent on missions throughout the galaxy to enforce the bans on slavery and aid in destroying slavers and crime rings. Anakin isn't surprised that much of the 501st signed up for this role, and when things become more stable, he hopes to personally accompany them at times.

Lastly, clones who enlisted as security work as security guards to protect various shipments throughout the galaxy from pirate attacks. Each sector now has its own security force. Half are clones and half are from the mandatory draft imposed on the worlds in that sector who wish to receive protection; the percentage of each world's representation depends on its population size. It was the only way to ensure fairness. The rest of the security forces are supplemented with repurposed CIS droids.

All in all, though it's been difficult to set up, the system appears to be working thus far. It helps that he and Vader have been being aided by not only Omega, but also, by Rex, Fives, Echo, and some others. The Senate has been functioning as usual, for the most part, while Vader takes immediate action on subjects on which the Senate is not fast enough.

Additionally, they have been screening Jedi and working them into the new system which is being established. Vader has sent the Council many missions, most involving distributing relief and aid, as well as settling conflicts and disputes, which they have been delegating appropriately. It's not perfect, but they're working on it, and they're making a difference. That, Anakin supposes, is what counts most.

Still, it's hard work, work which doesn't see any immediate results, so it requires immense patience, something that neither of them has in abundance. Oh, they can be patient if it's necessary, but it's so easy to get discouraged because things are not progressing nearly as fast as they're used to. Battles and military campaigns seem to show results more easily, or at least they show results in a way that the duo is more accustomed to.