Chapter 33 - Allegiances

Author's Note: So, there's a few things I want to say. First of all, we're slowly approaching the end of the story. Lol. Maybe it doesn't quite seem like it yet, but we are. I'm estimating that the fic will be around 40 chapters when it's done. :)

Second, I know I was once going to get into therapy in here, but... that's not going to happen anymore. Yeah, they all need therapy, but someone actually suggesting that, much less everyone even accepting it just... isn't happening. They seem to be sorta working things out on their own though. Maybe in the future, post-epilogue, it'll happen? Idk. Lol.

Finally, the next chapter should be posted around August 10th. ^-^

~ Amina Gila

Vader had listened quietly as Anakin told him about his meeting with Padme. It went well, far better than Vader had either anticipated, or hoped for. He had thought she might continue to be somewhat antagonistic, but instead, she's willing to listen. She's willing to try and be open-minded about his rule, and that sends a complicated surge of emotions through him. For him, it's been so long since she died, so many years, and he still loves her and misses her, but the pain of her loss has begun to fade. She's not as important to him as she once was; he has a whole new family to focus on.

But there had been a time when he'd thought he could overthrow Sidious and put Padme on the throne in his stead. She had rejected him then, and it had hurt. It feels like... closure, almost, having her here, even if she's not his and never will be, and knowing that she's trying to accept him as the Emperor. It – he thinks he might be able to let go of her a little more now and move on. He might be able to let go of her betrayal, of her rejection.

With so many people who need him, depend on him, and support him, he can't afford to be trapped in the past. It's time for him to focus on what he has, on who he has, and learn to heal and let go of past wounds.

Ahsoka contacted them, then, and told them about how Barriss had come to her in secret, warning her about the Jedi. She thinks the Order will split, Ahsoka had reported, expression worried and anxious, And she thinks that those who walk away will try to kill you.

But Vader had been expecting as much, so he isn't taken by surprise. Actually, he'd been counting on it. That's why he acted as he did. He wanted to push those Jedi who oppose him out into the open, so he knows who the biggest threats are. Obviously, there will still be threats within the Order, those who lie low and try to gain his confidence, but he didn't come this far by being stupid. He's got Anakin to watch his back, and an army of protective clones who would die for him, even if he would rather that they not.

He's not worried about himself. Ahsoka and Omega will be much bigger targets, and that's why they're being so well protected.

Vader doesn't know if Barriss is truly being sincere, not after what she did to Ahsoka in the future he lived, but he still remembers what she'd said about how the Order was losing its way, and that is not dissimilar to what she told Ahsoka now. He can't trust her fully, though he does think that she's being honest about her intentions. He thinks that maybe they can actually trust her to be on their side this time.

To confirm Barriss' words though, it might be best for him to try and see if he can get any information out of any other more... agreeable Jedi. And thankfully, he has just the person in mind, though he has no idea how cooperative or not, she'll be, even if she doesn't fully realize what he's after.

Omega and Ahsoka are in his office, along with Anakin, of course, accompanied by their constant shadows – Clone Force 99 – when the new Senator from Ryloth arrives for his meeting. Cham Syndulla. After Orn Free Taa's death, Syndulla was chosen as his replacement. Unlike Taa, Syndulla is a good man who genuinely cares for his people. He suffered alongside them during the Clone Wars, led them into battle as he fought to free Ryloth. It only seems fitting that he is now to be the one who will lead them in the Senate as well.