𝟎𝟎𝟓. a deal with derek

SIDELINES

____________

STILES AND SCOTT sit on the first step to the small staircase, other students maneuvering around them as they converse. Emery hovers behind the two with an unimpressed look on her face, her fingers playing with the laces of her boots as she listens.

"I'm sorry about the other day," Stiles expresses, moving his hands around for effect. "I'm trying. We'll get through this. I know because I love you. I love you more than— oh my God!" He cuts himself off abruptly, causing Emery to let out an amused laugh. "I can't— you and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate!"

"Come on!" Scott exclaims desperately. "You're the only one that we can trust," he spins the upper half of his body to Emery, "and you." The girl smiles slightly. Then he focuses on Stiles again. "Is she coming to the game tonight?"

"Yes, okay? Message complete." The human boy glances at their surroundings, gently nudging Scott with his elbow. "Okay, now tell us about your boss," Stiles demands in a lower tone.

"Uh, he thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of records of all the things that they've hunted. Like a book."

Stiles claps his palms together. "He probably means a Bestiary."

Emery and Scott each give him an odd expression, the girl's face resting against her fists as she raises a brow. "A what?"

"A bestiary," Stiles repeats.

Scott chuckles with a childish grin. "I think you mean bestiality."

"Nope, pretty sure I don't." Stiles asserts, clearly irritated by his best friend's response. "It's like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures."

"Yeah, whatever it is, I wouldn't read it," Emery remarks nonchalantly.

Scott gapes slightly. "How am I the only one that doesn't seem to know anything about this stuff?"

"Okay, you know, you're my best friends," he points to both Scott and Emery. "You're a creature of the night, and you're an evil sorceress— it's kind of like a priority of mine."

"I'm not evil—?"

"Okay," the werewolf nods dismissively. "If we can find it, and it can tell us what this thing is—"

"And who," Stiles adds.

Then, they breathe out heavily, simultaneously saying, "We need that book."

Emery's eyes widen at the disturbing overlap of their voices, and they give each other a blank yet unsettled stare before gathering their belongings. They stand from the steps and walk up the staircase.

Eventually, Stiles parts ways with Scott and Emery in order to find Allison. They've decided to organize a plan to get the bestiary from their principal, but they need the brunette's assistance. Even if it's reluctant.

"Are you coming to the game?" Scott asks Emery as they reach the secondary floor, still waiting for Stiles to come back with information.