𝟎𝟎𝟏. affection

SIDELINES

____________

EMERY LETS OUT a quiet laugh as Isaac plants a kiss on her cheek, his arm wrapped around her collarbone from behind. Her smile widens as she looks over her shoulder at him.

"Don't you have work tonight?" she asks, leaning into his embrace.

"Yeah," Isaac hums. He exhales slightly, glancing at the alarm clock on her nightstand that reads six o'clock. "I gotta go. My dad wants me there by 6:30."

Emery nods silently, still staring up at him. Her gaze eventually wanders to the dark bruise that surrounds his left eye. She frowns. "How did you get that, by the way? You never told me."

She reaches up and caresses it with her fingertips, and Isaac can barely resist the wince that follows. "Lacrosse," he sighs. "I guess the helmets don't work as well as they should."

"Obviously," Emery comments with a grin.

Isaac chuckles and presses another kiss to the side of her head, carefully removing his arm from around her body. "I'll see you soon, alright? I'll call you when my shift ends."

The girl inclines her chin again, watching as he slides off the bed and collects his jacket from the chair at her desk. He makes it to the door to Emery's room before turning back.

"I love you," he says softly.

Emery can feel the blood rush to her cheeks. Then she replies, "I love you, too."

Isaac sends her one last smile, closing the door behind him as he leaves. Emery covers her face with the palms of her hands, scrunching her features in embarrassment.

Despite the fact that they've been together for so long, Emery still blushes at the little things Isaac does. Sometimes it irritates her, but mostly she enjoys the affection she feels for him. The love she feels.

As a sigh escapes her lips, Emery reaches for her phone that lies on the other side of the mattress. She finds Allison Argent's contact and sends a quick message.

EMERY: have you found lydia yet?

Their friend, Lydia Martin, disappeared from the hospital about two hours ago. At least that's what Emery heard from Scott and Stiles, who immediately began their own search party for the girl.

Emery offered her assistance in the search, only to be politely rejected by the pair. They told her that they didn't want to draw any more attention to themselves, and wanted Emery to stay inside where it was safe from the Argents — the family of werewolf hunters.

Although it isn't for sure that Lydia has turned, the Argents are hunting her. If there's even a chance that Lydia's a werewolf now, they'll kill her. Then she'll end up as another person who's become collateral damage because of Peter Hale's insatiable desire for power.

The presence and company of Isaac helped calm Emery's nerves, but she can no longer ignore the concern that overwhelms her at the thought of Lydia being lost in the woods. Naked. Scared. Alone.

Emery can understand the feelings of being scared of herself. Wanting to be alone because she cannot understand it. She just hopes that Lydia will be found before the Argents can get to her.