It Only Gets Worse...

The past few days have been rough to deal with. Kanei, Hide, Touka and I struggled to deal with the idea of Izuki throwing herself off a bridge, but I saw it with my own eyes. And I knew who drove her to it. I promised I'd kill that bastard too. I spent most of the past couple days visiting Izuki's mom. I couldn't imagine how hard it must have hit her. Her one and only bit of family left... Gone, just like that and so young too... 

It'd torture any parent. And someone had to be there for Izuki's mom. I like to think that me being around helped her a little. But with me hanging around Izuki's mom, I've not been able to check in with my other friends. 

Which is what I was going to do now. I was on my way to Anteiku and I hoped to check in with Kanei and Touka. Especially Touka. I had sent a few messages to them, but they didn't respond which made me worry more. 

Before I knew it, I had arrived at Anteiku. The sun was beginning to set and a cold breeze blew past, making me shiver slightly. I really should've dressed up in something a little warmer than a t-shirt and jeans. Regardless, I kept moving and entered the coffee shop. To my surprise, it was completely empty. No customers and no workers were anywhere. 

Mutasim: Touka? Kanei? Anyone? 

I called out. No response. Frowning, I approached the bar and tapped on the bell. I waited for a minute, but there was no response from anyone. They're usually open at this time too. Maybe they just closed early? I debated heading into the back by myself, but I didn't want to seem like I was intruding on anything personal. With a low sigh, I left the coffee shop and began to make my way home again. 

While on my way back, I left Touka a voicemail to call me when she has the chance. However, as soon as I finished with that, I recognised a small girl with brown hair running through the streets. A little further behind her, her mother was chasing her, trying to stop her. I tilted my head, confused at what was going on. The little girl I recognised as Hinami, ended up turning into an alley, only making me worry more. Her mother chased after her and I was too curious to figure out what was going on. To my dismay, rain started to pour down. 

I approached the alley, hiding behind a wall and peeked around the corner. Standing in the centre of the alley were two men wearing suits and holding briefcases. My eyes widened as I quickly realised they were working for the CCG! I remember hearing they often held briefcases and wore suits. And I doubt anyone working out a business deal would be standing in an alley. Not unless they were drug dealers. 

Old man: Nice weather today, isn't it? Though I wouldn't want the rain to come down any harder than this. Your dying screams wouldn't be able to reach my ears, after all. 

Two more Investigators came from behind, but they didn't see me. They pulled out handguns, making me worry even more. I'll be honest, I had my suspicions that Hinami and her mom were Ghouls, but I think all this just cemented it for me. 

Old man: May I please just have a moment of your time, Ms Fueguchi? 

Ah shit. They know them too. 

Hinami: Mom...

This wasn't going to end well. But I had to do SOMETHING! I couldn't just let someone else die right in front of me. I won't let that happen again! Reaching into my pocket, I felt my switchblade's handle. I've kept it on me for self defence after a small incident when I was a kid. Though I never imagined I'd use it with the intent to harm someone who wasn't trying to wrong me. I was about to rush forward, but Ryouko, Hinami's mom, unleashed her kagune. It came out as four giant pale tendrils which looked more like petals of a flower. Instead of using them to fight, she shielded herself and Hinami. 

But this was good! I could use Ryouko's situation as a distraction to strike the Investigators from the back now! Rushing forward, I jumped onto the first Investigator's back and tried to grab the gun. He let out a grunt and tried to toss me off even slamming my back against an alley wall.