Chapter 43

There was once a mysterious figure who appeared in the Woods and made his way to Camelot, insisting on a private meeting with its king. He called himself the Green Knight. Arthur was not in the practice of humoring nameless strangers—especially demanding ones with axes—but the Green Knight had arrived only a few days after Guinevere had abandoned the king for his best friend. That the Green Knight would come so soon after the queen's disappearance couldn't be a coincidence . . .

"Do you know where she is?" Arthur asked, breathless. "Take me to her at once. . . I'll pay you any price. . ."

The Green Knight seemed bemused. "Most kings would be suspicious of a green stranger. Especially the Lion of Camelot, whose kingdom is founded upon his victory over a Snake. But instead, the mighty Arthur asks me for help, convinced I'm a friend." He peered harder at the king. "You don't remember me, do you?"

"Quite sure I'd remember a green hulk of a man," said Arthur swiftly. "If you are indeed man and not monster."

"More man than most kings, I'd say," the knight replied, his stare unwavering. "As to your question, let's say I could find your wife. How would that change anything? Would that make her love you? Would that make her come running back to your side?"

Arthur didn't know what to make of this.

"Poor Lion. It won't be long before you call me a Snake," the Green Knight spoke. "But just remember: the real Snake was in your bed."

The king's eyes flickered. "Why have you come here, then?"

"To gain your permission," the Green Knight replied.

"My permission for what?"

"To kill Merlin," said the knight.

The king laughed, rocking forward on his throne.

Then he saw the knight was serious.

"May I ask why?" said the king.

"May I ask why you couldn't keep your wife?" said the knight.

Arthur's mood darkened. "You have three seconds to be out of my sight."

"No, that's not how this goes," the Green Knight said. "If I leave now, I will punish your realms and inflict terror like you have never known until you beg me back, seeking a deal. The same deal I will offer you today. If you wish to spare your people, I suggest you take it."

Arthur looked startled that this creature was now issuing him orders.

"The terms are simple," said the Green Knight. "You may strike me a single blow with your sword. Right here. Right now. And in exchange, I will return tomorrow and give the same blow to Merlin."

"If I give you a blow, you won't be returning anywhere tomorrow," Arthur spat, launching to his feet.

"A true king would do more than boast," the Green Knight taunted.

"You want a blow, do you?" Arthur sneered, drawing Excalibur. "As you wish." From the throne's platform, he pointed the sword down at the knight. "You are lucky there are steps between us. I am offering you mercy, insolent cur. I suggest you take it."

"I see," the knight spoke. "You don't think my terms are real. So lost in arrogance you ignore the threat in front of you. So insulated from your people you'd let a Snake run free, because you're too cowardly to strike the blow. Actions have consequences, Your Highness. Non-action has consequences as well.

"I'm giving you the right to strike me," the knight reminded. "It is also your right to turn a blind eye, of course. To let me leave and wreak havoc in your name. But don't say I didn't warn you. Just as I'm sure your wife warned she didn't love you and you turned a blind eye to that too."