Chapter 14

"How could you do this?" I roared, sending a wave of scims.

Japeth ducked, and they slammed into the cave wall behind him. He fixed me with a glare.

"We need Sophie on our side," Japeth argued. "I wouldn't have woken her from the curse if I didn't believe that."

"Sophie's a liability," I shot back. "A part of her is still in love with Tedros. And don't argue with me," I said, seeing his face, "because you know it's true. Hell, it was proven true when you used that spell to shape-shift into Tedros for the kiss and it worked."

Japeth rolled his eyes. "She's half in love with Rhian already. Or at least that's what Kei said when he broke me out of that hellish prison."

"I still don't trust that boy."

"He's useful. How many times do I have to say it before you believe it?"

I scowled. "What else did Kei say?"

"That Sophie plans to return to Camelot with him. And that so-called king," Japeth spat.

I leaned against the cave wall and folded my arms. "I want him gone just as much as you do."

"Don't forget his princess," a voice said.

I looked over Japeth's shoulder at Rafal, who was also leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets.

"I won't stop until she's dead," I said.

Japeth glanced over his shoulder, and I knew all he saw was a cave wall littered with scims. "Seeing the ghost again, are you?"

"He's not a ghost."

"Right. I forgot. You're just insane—"

I flew forward, slamming him against the wall beside Rafal. Scims dug into his back from when I had shot them earlier.

"I am not crazy," I said, dangerously low. I was shaking with adrenaline. My eyes were wild.

He gasped as I shoved my hand against his throat, squeezing, squeezing, squeezing—

"Don't kill the man you need for the plan, my love."

I retracted my hand immediately, letting Japeth fall to the floor, scims slicing through his suit as he went down.

I glanced at Rafal out of the corner of my eye. "I wasn't going to."

"It looked like it."

I huffed, turning around and walking out of the cave. Rafal was right on my heels. Pale moonlight bathed the forest in an ethereal glow.

As I walked, I slowed my breathing, trying to calm down.

"You must keep your emotions in check."

"It would be easier if Japeth talked to me before waking someone from her sleeping curse when she should have stayed asleep."

"Are you afraid?"

I whirled to Rafal. The moon bathed him in light, making his pale skin appear silver. He looked achingly beautiful.

"Afraid?" I said. "Of Sophie?" I laughed. "That's ridiculous. She's harmless."

"I wasn't speaking of her power." Rafal took a step closer. "I think you're afraid of what she'll think of you when she sees what you've become."

I narrowed my eyes and turned my back on him. "I don't care what she thinks. She should be afraid of me. Of what I can do."

"I don't doubt your abilities, darling. All I'm saying is that Sophie might become a soft spot for you."