Chapter 11

Agatha subtly turned her head towards the galley from where she was seated at the dining room table, which creaked with every rock of the ship.

Beatrix and Reena were sniffling and writing letters of condolence to Millicent's relatives, while Dot was at the window whispering to Agatha's courier crow, which had Camelot's official ring around its neck. Hester and Anadil were tending to Kiko's burns, Vex's mangled ear, and ten other injured questers in a makeshift hospital; bandaged-up Hort was barking at the enchanted pot to make him a sandwich (it made broccoli instead); and through the bathroom door, Agatha could see Bogden and Willam poring over a round of tarot cards on the floor.

"Agatha."

Agatha jolted and turned her focus back to the small blue bubble in front of her, in which Professor Dovey's miniature form shimmered.

"Sorry," she said. Her head was still spinning from everything that had happened. The attacks, the Lion. . .

Y/n.

And the other Snake.

"You're positive it was her?" Dovey asked.

Agatha nodded. "Yes. It had to be."

She still hadn't told the others about Y/n. She wasn't sure why. . .maybe it's because she was in denial herself. That her friend, her sister, was back.

And trying to kill them all.

Dovey sighed. "I was afraid when she'd resurface again. After what she lost. . .I can't imagine she has our best interests at heart."

"I just don't understand why there are two Snakes," Agatha said. "And why they're both pretending to be one and the same. And how the boy knew Aric."

"We must also think of the Lion," Dovey said. "We must figure out his identity. We need him on our side and to figure out what exactly his motives are."

The Dean seemed to move her ball because the field of view turned upside down, veering around the School Master's tower, before the crystal ball settled on the Storian's painting of the tan, copper-haired boy.

Dovey turned the crystal ball back on herself. "I had the fairies copy the boy's image and without giving details, I asked all the teachers and students of both schools if they recognized him. No one has ever seen this boy before. Not a single person. Which, given his accomplishments and skills last night, seems rather impossible. There is something familiar in his face, though . . . something I can't quite put my finger on—"

She coughed hard, clutching her chest, upending the ball. As it resettled, Agatha noticed the black ridges under Dovey's eyes had grown deeper, her face seemingly older overnight.

"Professor, I know you want us to retrieve the rest of the quest teams," said Agatha, "but you don't sound well—"

"I'm fine, though my crystal ball is running out of time for today, so pay attention," Dovey insisted, her voice still shaky. "After what's happened with Millicent and Chaddick, I don't want any more students hurt. Find the remaining quest teams immediately, bring them onto the Igraine, and return them to the School for Good and Evil, where they'll be safe. Also, I've spoken to Guinevere. More of the Snakes' attacks have been foiled by the Lion in Mahadeva and Foxwood. With the Lion on his tail, the Snakes will surely storm Camelot and try to take it by force. If Camelot falls to the Snakes, so will all the kingdoms of the Woods. Guinevere is working with Good and Evil leaders to quickly build an army to defend Camelot from the Snakes and their mercenaries. Tedros, meanwhile, is riding out with Lancelot to meet the Lion tonight and find out who he is. If this Lion is indeed a loyal ally, he will be a crucial asset in fighting the Snakes when he and his army assault the castle."