Chapter 25

"How am I supposed to explain this?"

Rhian slammed down a newspaper on his desk. Its headline read:

"CAMELOT'S NEW QUEEN: IS SHE REALLY GOOD?"

"Should we really be worrying about that right now?" Japeth asked, leaning against a wall of the study. "The dungeons were breached. Sixteen prisoners escaped. Sixteen. That includes some of your little advisor's friends—"

"We still have Tedros," I shot back. "That's what matters."

"What also matters is the people of Camelot thinking you're Good," Rhian retorted, pointing at the front page of the newspaper. "And you've just shown them you're not."

"We can cover it up," I said. "Our men have already breached the School. It's only a matter of time before we capture Agatha, and once I kill her and Tedros—"

"You won't be killing anyone," Japeth spat.

I stared at him. "What?"

Japeth laughed. "You really think the public is going to see you as some hero when you execute those two after you already threatened their friend's life?"

"If those two are painted as traitors to the crown, then yes."

"Right, then," Rhian said. "We'll just have to make the public think of them like that even more, all while making Y/n look Good. We'll have her attend charity balls, take trips into town to speak with the people. I'll even have Sophie write something with Lionsmane—"

"That girl is going nowhere near that pen," I said.

Rhian rolled his eyes. "You're worrying about nothing—"

"Am I?"

With my finger lit, I conjured Sophie's latest tale in the air above our heads.

"How do you think her friends knew how to rescue her? How do you think they knew when to rescue her?" I pressed.

With my fingerglow, I drew circles in the air, marking up the message.

"Celebrate! Rogue Agatha has been caught! Yet another enemy of Camelot, brought down by the Lion. Scoff at all other reports. There is only one army: the Lion's Army. And it is made of you: the people of the Woods! Live under the Lion and you will be safe forever."

Rhian's eyes widened at the new word revealed.

C-R-Y-S-T-A-L.

"She's been hiding messages in the stories," I said, "telling Agatha to use Dovey's crystal ball to spy on us."

Rhian's eyes shifted from side to side, as if looking for something. "Is she spying right now?"

"Doubtful," Japeth said. "Y/n told us that the crystal ball was broken."

"Yes," I confirmed. "And Dovey grew weaker the more she used it. Hopefully the same thing will happen to Agatha."

"But that doesn't address what the public thinks of the crown, thanks to Y/n's little act at the Blessing," Japeth said.

I ran a hand over my lips in thought. "Maybe we can still save my image. The people need a queen who is decisive, takes action. They need a queen to believe in."

Rhian's grin grew. "Then let's make them believe in you."

As we locked eyes, I knew we were thinking the same thing.