Chapter 18

Hester, Anadil, and Dot sat shell-shocked in a stinking cell, flanked by fellow quest team members Beatrix, Reena, Hort, Willam, Bogden, and Kiko. Just minutes ago, they'd been on the castle balcony for a Woodswide celebration. Together with Tedros and Agatha, they'd presented the Snake's dead body to the people and basked in Camelot's victory over a vicious enemy.

Now they were in Camelot's prison, condemned as enemies themselves.

Hester waited for someone to say something . . . for someone to take the lead. . . .

But that's what Agatha usually did. And Agatha wasn't here.

Through the cell wall, she could hear the muffled sounds of the ongoing ceremony, turned into King Rhian's coronation—

"From this day forward, you are rid of a king who closed his doors to you when you needed him," Rhian declared. "A king who cowered while a Snake ravaged your kingdoms. A king who failed his father's test. From this day forward, you have a real king. King Arthur's true heir. We may be divided into Good and Evil, but we are one Woods. The fake king is punished. The forgotten people aren't forgotten anymore. The Lion is listening to you now!"

"LION! LION! LION!" the chants echoed.

Hester felt her demon tattoo steam red on her neck. Next to her, Anadil and Dot tugged at the pastel dresses they'd been made to wear for the ceremony, along with their prissy, primped curls. Beatrix and Reena were trying to light their fingerglows to no avail, and Anadil's three black rats kept poking heads out of her pocket, waiting for orders, before Anadil shoved them back down. In the corner, red-haired Willam and runty Bogden anxiously studied tarot cards, with Hester picking up their whispers: "bad gifts" . . . "warned him" . . . "should have listened" . . .

No one else spoke for a long while.

"Things could be worse," said Hester finally.

"How could it be worse?" Hort shrieked. "The boy we thought was our savior and new best friend turned out to be the most Evil scum on the planet."

"We should have known. Anyone who likes Sophie is bound to be horrible," Kiko wisped.

"I'm not one to defend Sophie, but it isn't her fault," said Dot, failing to turn the ribbon in her hair to chocolate. "Rhian tricked her like he tricked all of us."

"Who says he tricked her?" said Reena. "Maybe she knew his plan all along. Maybe that's why she's still by his side."

"Even Sophie isn't that Evil," said Anadil.

"We just stood there instead of fighting back," said Kiko, despondent. "We should have done something—"

"It happened too fast!" said Hort. "One second the guards are parading the Snake's dead body and the next they're grabbing Tedros and slamming Merlin over the head."

"Did anyone see where they took them?" Dot asked.

"Or Guinevere?" said Reena.

"What about Agatha?" asked Bogden. "Last I saw, she was running through the crowd—"

"Maybe she escaped!" said Kiko.

"Or maybe she was beaten to death by that mob out there," said Anadil.

"Rather take her odds than be stuck in here," said Willam. "I've lived at Camelot most of my life. These dungeons are immune to magic spells. No one's ever gotten out."

"We don't have any friends left to get us out," said Hort.

"And given that we serve no use to Rhian anymore, he'll probably cut off our heads by dinnertime," Beatrix scorned, turning to Hester. "So tell me, wise witch, how can things possibly be any worse?"

One True Queen (School for Good and Evil Book 2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें