13 » ❝As Long As You're Mine❞

Start from the beginning

        "Of course - it's daytime," he says bittersweetly. "Well, see you soon, Avaric. I'm sure I won't last any longer at this school than I did at any of the others."

        Scarlett narrows her eyebrows. "Is this really how you go through life?" she asks in disbelief. "Nearly knocking people over and not even noticing them?"

        Parker pauses in thought, then smiles mischievously at Scarlett. "Well, maybe the driver saw green and thought it meant go," he smirks, and Scarlett glares at him. A while later Scarlett's up to read again, and she's sitting on the makeshift bed for Elphaba and Galinda's dorm room, Peyton beside her.

        "Your very first party, ever?" Peyton asks in disbelief, and Scarlett shrugs.

        "Do funerals count?" she asks, biting her lip.

        Peyton squeals. "Your very first party!" she echoes. "I know - let's tell each other something we've never told anyone, I'll go first!" she says in a perky voice, and Scarlett nods timidly. "Fiyero and I... are going to be married!" Peyton exclaims, clapping her hands together and squealing.

        "He's asked you already?" Scarlett's eyes are wide.

        "No - he doesn't know yet," Peyton admits, eyes unblinking as she stares hopefully at Scarlett. It isn't long before Miss Brendan calls for a break, and the acting portion of the callback is over - meaning that only the singing is left. "You were awesome - Elphie," Peyton grins, nudging Scarlett with her elbow playfully. "It's going to be so awkward when we have to slap each other onstage," she points out, and Scarlett laughs (even though obviously they'll probably be learning to stage-slap, since there's no way that Scarlett would be able to slap one of her best friends like that).

        The girls are in the middle of debating which actress played Elphaba the best (even though it's obvious that Idina Menzel will always will this battle, hands down) when Mackenna appears out of nowhere and grabs Scarlett's hand, dragging her along as she staggers behind her into the hallway. "Cute outfit," Mackenna purses her lips, eyeing Scarlett's navy blue-collared sundress (any resemblance to Elphaba's first costume appearance is no coincidence) in mild disgust. "Desperate much?"

        Scarlett crosses her arms. "Is there something you want, Mackenna?"

        "Funny, I thought I'd made myself perfectly clear before," she says as she taps her finger to her chin thoughtfully, "I want Elphaba. And I'm starting to think that that's something a bit too difficult for you to understand," she drawls, narrowing her eyes.

        "Mackenna, if you're asking me to drop out of the school musical-"

        "Oh, I'm not asking you to drop out, I'm telling you to."

        Scarlett groans. "You know, have you ever thought that if maybe you spent a little less time worrying about what I'm doing, you'd have a better chance at getting the role for yourself - without threatening the competition?" she suggests.

        Mackenna rolls her eyes, laughing to herself - as if Scarlett's theory is that incredulous of a suggestion. "Oh Scarlett, your naivety never fails to crack me up," she smirks. "But in all seriousness, my ambition tactics are my business, not yours. So instead of trying to appeal to the small amount of mercy I have, why don't you just do us all a favour and join a book club instead?"

        Scarlett scowls at her. "First of all, I'm already in book club," she points out, even though it's by far the lamest thing she could have possibly retorted with. "Second, I'm not dropping out of the play - especially not because you feel threatened by me."