Part 1: tesserae

songs - Karma Police (Radiohead)

BE SURE TO READ THE INTRO SO THIS MAKES SENSE 🤍

contrary to everyone in the capitols thoughts, aurelia wasn't having too much trouble adjusting to life in the districts.

after all, she got kicked out of the capitol for expressing her sympathy towards them. she had been placed in capitol housing that was slightly nicer than the Peace Keepers head quarters.

this was done by her great uncle snow due to the fact that he didn't want anyone in 12 to discover that she was capitol, and especially not that she was a snow.

snow lands on top, but not alone in the districts. certainly not 12, with the most justified anger towards the wealth and power of the capitol. he knew that.

very few peacekeepers knew who aurelia was and why she was there. it was mostly the higher ranking peace keepers, and they were under special instruction of President Snow to keep her identity hidden for as long as possible and to keep her safe.

the one thing aurelia could not adjust to was the lack of food. she had no contact with anyone in the capitol, so once she began to starve she applied for tesserae to get more food.

she figured because of her name status she would not be reaped and therefore had no worries.

she was only 16 and she was capitol. nothing bad would happen to her. or so she thought.

she sat at her window watching the people of 12 starving in the streets. her heart broke apart. now that she had applied for the tesserae she had more food than she needed.

one night she snuck out of her capitol provided home that was guarded by peace keepers and delivered some of her food to a girl her age named katniss everdeen, who's family was starving at home.

she received a strict and brutal beating from the peace keepers after she pulled that stunt. they didn't care if she was capitol, she was district now.

that situation caused for the need of more peacekeepers guarding her. there were numerous keepers outside of her home and even one inside at her front door.

even the people of 12 had more freedom than she it seemed.

• • • • •

one week later

once again, aurelia was sitting in the comforts of her home wishing she could do something for the people outside. but it was hopeless.

she was deep in thought when she heard the floorboards creaking followed by the squeaky sound of plastic which could be no other than a peace keeper walking up her stairs.

"it's time to go. you need to go to the reaping." he barked at her.

"what? no no. i don't have to go. my name isn't even in there." she scoffed at the idea. guess she still had a little capitol in her.

"no no, you are going. during the reaping the other peace keepers sweep the homes to make sure everyone in district 12 is in attendance. if you're here, we can't guarantee your safety, Ms. Snow." he snapped back.

"i suggest you put on something nice. but not capitol nice like you're used to. something nice for 12." he said judgmentally.

she nodded her head in confusion and opened her closet to find a old yellow dress with white flowers neatly embroidered all over it. white like snow.

she then grabbed the white roses out of her flower vase and made a rose crown. she knew it would make her stand out from the rest of the district children at the reaping. but she was a snow after all, and it wouldn't be very snowlike of her to not display something.

she exited the house and was followed by only one peacekeeper, to not make it suspicious.

they walked up to the area where all of the other district kids checked in, but the peacekeeper walked up to the people registering this event and whispered something and she just walked right in.

they did not take her blood, which only turned a few heads.

she stood very isolated from everyone else in fear that she would be questioned as she knew absolutely nobody here, except for katniss.

effie trinket, someone she briefly knew from capitol parties walked onto the stage. she prayed that effie would not recognize her.

they began playing a video voiced by her great-uncle, which deeply disturbed her. a unsettling pain started in her stomach when she realized what was really happening as she was so against the games themselves.

effie then said "time for the girls! may the odds ever be in your favor."

aurelia looked around the crowd and wondered who the female tribute of 12 would be this year as effie reached her hand into the bowl.

"the female tribute of district 12 is.." effie paused.

"no, that can't be right, this must be some sort of mistake!" she laughed with a disturbed look on her face which now grew whiter than it already was with all of that makeup.

end of part 1.