As they reached Louise's door, Sebastian turned to face her. "Thank you for teaching Katherine," he said, his voice filled with sincerity. "She means the world to me."

Louise's heart melted at his words. "It's my pleasure," she replied, her voice soft and tender. Sebastian leaned in again, his eyes searching hers, as if trying to decipher the depth of her feelings. The air between them crackled with an intensity that was both thrilling and disarming. She felt herself wanting to close the distance between them, to feel the warmth of his skin against hers. But once again, he pulled back, maintaining the proper distance that society demanded.

"Good night, Miss Louise," he whispered, his voice filled with longing. Louise watched as Mr Warrington walked away, her heart heavy with unfulfilled desire...but her mind wandered back to Mary, she was here to fulfil her promise to Mary not to get involved with anyone.

Louise awoke to the sound of a carriage pulling up outside her chambers. Intrigued, she rose from her bed and approached the window, where she caught sight of Mr. Sebastian Warrington stepping into the carriage that would carry him away from Warrington Manor. A pang of disappointment washed over her as she realized he hadn't bid her farewell. Yet, she couldn't ignore the fact that their connection had never been strong enough to warrant such a gesture.

As she pondered his departure, her thoughts inevitably drifted back to their encounter in the library—the stolen glances, the unresolved tension. A blush warmed her cheeks, but she swiftly composed herself, reminding her heart that indulging in such fantasies was neither appropriate nor wise. She had made a promise to Mary, and she would not break it.

Louise was in the middle of explaining the proper way to hold a quill when the young girl suddenly slammed her book shut. The harsh sound made Louise jump and turn to look at her pupil in surprise.

"Katherine! Is everything alright?" Louise asked with concern.

Katherine fixed her with an intense stare. "Do you like my father?" she asked bluntly. Her words sent a shockwave through Louise. She didn't know how to respond at first. It was a question she hadn't expected, and it caught her off guard.

Louise felt her cheeks grow hot. "W-what? Of course not, whatever makes you think that?" she stammered, trying to play it off. She couldn't believe Katherine had just asked her that.

Katherine rolled her eyes. "Oh, come on, I've seen the way you two look at each other. There's something going on between you two, I just know it." She crossed her arms defiantly, waiting for Louise to respond.

"Katherine, you're being ridiculous," Louise said more sternly. "There is nothing improper between me and your father. I am simply your governess." She took a deep breath, trying to steady her racing heart.

"I don't believe you. I know you have feelings for him."

Louise sighed in exasperation. "Katherine, listen to me. Even if I did have feelings for your father - which I absolutely do not - nothing could ever happen between us. He is my employer, and I am your governess. It is my duty to set a good example for you."

"Why? Why can't you be with my father?" Katherine asked, her voice wavering.

Louise was taken aback by the question. "Katherine, you are much too young to understand the complexities of adult relationships. Even if I did have feelings for your father, which I don't, it would not be appropriate for me to pursue them while I am in this position as your governess. It is my duty to set an example for you, and that means maintaining a proper distance between us."

"But I want you to be together!" Katherine suddenly blurted out. Louise stared at her in shock. "Whatever do you mean?" Louise asked carefully. Katherine hesitated, biting her lip. "Well...I've seen the way you two look at each other. It's like...it's like you're in love. And I want that for you. I want you to be happy." She paused, searching Louise's eyes for some sort of reaction.

"I really like you, Miss Louise. I wouldn't mind at all if you and Father were together. In fact, I'd love for you to become my new mother." Katherine's words took Louise aback. She felt a lump form in her throat as she struggled to find the right thing to say.

"Katherine..." she began gently. "While I am very flattered that you feel that way, nothing can happen between your father and me. It would not be proper." She paused, thinking of how best to explain the situation. "Your father is a very important man, and he has responsibilities to take care of. I am just his employee, and it is my job to make sure that you are well taken care of as well."

"But I want you to be my mother!" Katherine insisted stubbornly. "You're so nice, and you're pretty, and you teach me all these wonderful things. I know you'd make a wonderful mother." Louise sighed, feeling a pang of sympathy for the little girl. She knelt down to meet Katherine's eyes at eye level, wanting her to feel seen and heard.

"Katherine, I understand that you are longing for a mother, and I am honoured that you think of me in that way. But the truth is, your father and I cannot be together. It wouldn't be fair to either of us, or to you. Your father has a lot of responsibilities as your father, and as the head of the household. I have my own responsibilities as your governess, and as a woman in my own right. We must both respect those boundaries."

"But you like my father! And I like you! Why can't we all be happy?" Katherine persisted; her voice tinged with desperation.

"Katherine, stop this nonsense," Louise said firmly. "We cannot continue down this path. It would be wholly inappropriate. Now please, let us return to our lessons." She paused, unable to meet the girl's pleading gaze.

Katherine huffed in annoyance but opened her book once more. Louise breathed a small sigh of relief as they resumed the lesson, grateful for the opportunity to distract herself from the uncomfortable conversation they'd just had. As they worked through their grammar exercises, Louise couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt for the disappointment she'd caused the little girl. She understood all too well the ache of wanting something you couldn't have, and the desperation that came with it.