#017

A/N : would recommend yall to play 'seasons'
by wave to earth while reading this!

[YEONJUN'S POV]

days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. it had been a whopping one whole month ever since y/n vanished without a single trace left behind. moreover, her absence already made me realize that i had somewhat fallen for her.

that one month without her was lonely. i had no one to spend my day with everyday. my friends did come by once in a while to keep me company but my craving for y/n's presence grew and before i knew it, i began to hallucinate y/n's figure around my house. i thought i was going crazy when i saw y/n sitting on my couch, calling me over but when i blinked, she was nowhere there.

"one hot americano for yeonjun!"

the barista's loud holler pulled me out of my trance. hurriedly, i rushed to get my drink, squeezing among the crowd. the moment my hand touched the warm exterior of the cup, i let out a sigh of comfort and took a quick sip. the liquid burnt my tongue slightly and i choked. slowly, i staggered towards the door to the outside world. i took a moment to observe but a cranky man pushed me as he headed out. i scoffed and straightened myself to continue staring out.

winter is already here. 

people, bundled up in cozy winter attire, waddled through the snow-covered sidewalks. their breath forms fleeting clouds in the cold air, and the sound of boots crunching on fresh snow creates a soothing melody. couples strolled hand in hand, their laughter and whispered conversations adding warmth to the wintry scene. vendors on street corners sold hot drinks, their carts adorned with steaming cups of coffee and the inviting aroma of roasted chestnuts.

my body shivered for a moment once i stepped out of the cafe. my hand instinctively pulled my coat closer to warm me up. taking another warm sip, i felt my body relax as i walked along the pavement. the buildings on either side of the street stood tall, their rooftops capped with a layer of snow.  the occasional gust of wind would send small flurries spiraling through the air. in the distance, i saw a man walking with an umbrella shading him from the snowy drizzle.

who even walks in the snow with an umbrella?

shaking my head, i pulled out my phone from my pocket and slightly regretted it when i almost lost balance. i hastily stabilized myself and looked around, hoping no one caught me slipping. that would've been embarrassing if someone did see me.

30th December 2023. 5PM.

i mentally noted the date. i couldn't believe that another year will be passing by like this. 2023 was a roller coaster of a year. i went through my highs and lows and now i'm going to enter 2024. a small pout formed on my lips as i looked up. the sun was not even visible.

i'm going to end this year alone again.

[💘]

'but i'll pray for you all the time...'

'if I could be by your side, i'll give you all my life, my seasons.'

'i can't be your love cause i'm afraid i'll ruin your life..'

a frown settled itself deeply on my forehead as i plopped myself on my chilly balcony. on the small coffee table, a mug of cocoa sat with its fog oozing into the air. my phone was playing a live broadcast and i lazily listened to the man and lady duo yapping whilst watching the dark sky. i drank my cocoa and sighed. the family living next door was loud. the sound of laughter and songs reached my ear easily and even if i tried to block it out, their happiness was too much for me to shield.

but then again, it's normal that they are celebrating happily.

2024 is 30 minutes away.

"good evening everyone! joining you live from doremi broadcast is dj steve,"

"and dj nayeon!"

i adjusted the volume so that their voices were loud but not too loud.

"gosh, i cannot believe this! we are approaching the final moments of 2023. can you believe it's almost time to welcome the new year?"

"time really does fly, doesn't it, steve? but hey, that's why we're here — to share these moments with our listeners!"

"let's quickly check the time. oh my, we are 15 minutes away from countdown! listeners, are you guys excited?"

though the man, steve wasn't directly talking to me, i shook my head and threw my head back. my hand reached out to grab my mug but then i remembered that i drank the entire drink finish. i paused and sighed. i really wished i had someone to end this year with.

i wish i had y/n beside me as we end the year together.

"steve, what are some exciting memories—"

i left the broadcast and turned my phone off. i hoisted myself up and dragged myself to the kitchen. the noise from my neighbours' house was growing louder and the chitter chatters that were happening on the rooftop grew too. i frowned. we were probably 10 minutes away from countdown. of course, everyone wants to go up to the rooftop to see the fireworks clearly.

i grabbed two cans of beer from the refrigerator and plopped myself back on the balcony. i checked my phone.

11:53 PM.

i could hear the faint sound of the door next door closing and the family moving towards the elevator. they must be going up to the rooftop as well. i sat there, contemplating for a bit. should i go up too? however, i will be alone and surrounded by families. 

"never mind, i'll just stay at home." i mumbled, chugging another can.

knock! knock! knock!

"who's knocking the door at.." my phone lit up as i checked the time, "11:57 PM..?" why would anyone be at my doorstep when the countdown would be beginning soon? i didn't even order anything nor do i have anyone i expect.

time ticked and for the first time, time felt like it was running fast. before my hands could reach the knob, i could already hear the city screaming the countdown from 60.

the door opened and everything froze— except the counting. my eyes widened and words barely left my lips. a startled gasp caught itself in my throat. i assumed the clock struck twelve as the explosions began painting the winter night with vivid hues. brilliant streaks of gold and silver soared into the air, creating intricate patterns against the canvas of the night sky. cascading sparkles of red and blue danced in harmony, reflecting off the pristine layer of snow that adorned the streets below. the air was filled with the sharp scent of gunpowder. there, bathed in the soft glow of the corridor's lights and the splashes of fireworks, y/n stood.

my heart quickening with a mix of surprise and exhilaration. i felt a rush of warmth, as if the room had suddenly become brighter, and the loud noises faded into the background. for a moment, i stood there, captivated by the vision of her presence. the echoes of the new year's countdown persisted in the background and a distant melody of loud cheers and hollers filled the air .a tidal wave of emotions surged within me—disbelief, surprise and elation. through y/n's eyes, i watched as the fireworks shattered continuosly.

y/n beamed sweetly. "happy new year, yeonjun!"