Chapter Sixty-Three

Start from the beginning

"See you at lunch," Lila smiled as they parted ways by the STEM area of campus. Asher beamed eagerly at her.

"Hope you're ready for Japanese food."

"Always."

It felt like lunch couldn't arrive fast enough. Lila locked her locker shut at the beginning of lunch, a desperate growl sounding from her stomach. Elise and Grace were waiting for her, seeming just as hungry.

"Let's go!" Elise said eagerly. The trio began to walk towards the designated meeting point – the corner of the STEM area that Lila always split off from Asher before his Chem class and her Maths class.

"I know you mentioned that we'd be getting Uber Eats," Grace said, her voice low as they passed several younger students. "But... how? I thought we weren't allowed to get delivery on campus."

"You've heard of the Banker, right?" Lila asked. Elise and Grace both nodded hesitantly.

"Haven't heard much about them," Grace added. "Besides that they loan out money."

"They also let you buy Uber Eats with cash, or on a tab," Lila replied. Having reached their destination, Lila scanned the surrounding area to see if Isaac and Asher were nearby. Her eyes snapped onto a very familiar student walking towards them - Daniel. He had his hands in his pockets, and a Grade 12 boy shadowing him, clearly as a bodyguard. The bodyguard was overtly checking out the three girls with a smarmy look across his face.

"Dude, that's my sister," Lila heard Daniel say disapprovingly once he was within earshot.

"So?" the bodyguard shrugged. "She's not bad."

"Lay off, dude. That's an order," Daniel said sternly. The bodyguard threw his hands up in the air and remained a few metres away from Lila, her friends, and Daniel. Elise and Grace gaped at Daniel as he started talking to Lila.

"Are you sure Asher is coming tonight?" Daniel asked, looking off to the side of Lila.

"Yeah," Lila replied. "Don't worry."

Daniel took a deep breath and nodded. "Okay. I'll head home straight after class, then."

"Was that it?" Lila asked, blinking rapidly at Daniel. "Bro, you could've just texted me. It's not like you lost my number."

"I just happened to see you. You hardly check your texts anyway," Daniel pointed out.

"Guess you're right. Your texts are so boring, though."

Daniel rolled his eyes. Lila grinned at him to show she was joking. He returned the grin with a tight, anxious-looking smile before walking off in the direction that he came, unscrewing the cap of a juice carton that had been in his blazer pocket. Seeing the look on Daniel's face troubled Lila, but she didn't call him back.

"Hold up," Elise said, waving her hands at Lila in disbelief. "What was that? Why's Daniel hanging out with Lachlan?"

"Is that his name?" Lila asked absently, still staring after Daniel and his bodyguard.

"W-Well, I think it is," Elise faltered before soldiering on. "Anyway! What's going on with Daniel?"

"He's getting tutored," Lila replied faintly, turning her attention to Elise and Grace.

"I didn't think Lachlan was that smart," Elise frowned. "But he's good at touch. Daniel still does touch footy, yeah?"

"U-Uh, yup," Lila said, unable to hide the panic in her voice.

"You don't sound confident about that," Grace observed shrewdly.

"He definitely still does touch," Lila said firmly, not looking at either Grace or Elise.