Chapter 22

✨CHAPTER 22✨

Halloween.

The day the boys had been planning for months now, they begged Hailey to dress up as well, but she was able to scale their excitement down saying she would do some Halloween make-up, the dressing up she would leave for later that night.

They weren't that happy about it, but it had them satisfied that she would do something to celebrate the day. Dustin and Hailey was pulled into a photo shoot by their mother.

When Hailey arrived at school she was stared at weirdly, but she could care less, about anyone's opinion of her. Jonathan was the only one that told her he liked her face, they only laughed afterwards going to their next class.

Hailey decided to spend her free period in the library, maybe there was a book that would give her an idea for a costume, and she didn't want to disappoint the boys.

Halfway through the period she finally noticed Nancy and Steve, he was staring at her worriedly.

"Nancy. What's going on? Are you okay?" Steve asks her, but her attention wasn't on him, but the lady working in the library. Nancy pulled him into the private study room, Hailey knew it was wrong, but she went to eavesdrop on them.

"I can't keep doing this." Nancy says.

"Doing what?" Steve asks, he didn't quite understand what she was talking about.

"Pretending like everything's okay." Hailey clearly heard Nancy state, but Steve sure didn't get what his girlfriend was talking about, as he asked, "What are you talking about?"

"Barbara. It's like everyone forgot. It's like nobody cares. Except her parents. And now they're selling their house." Nancy just kept on talking, Hailey can't believe that Nancy was acting like she was the only one that actually cared.

"Nance..."

"And they're going to spend the rest of their lives looking for her." She just kept on talking.

"I know."

"It's destroying them."

"I know. Okay? I get it. But listen, there's nothing we can do about it." Steve reminded her, but Nancy obviously didn't listen to what Steve was saying.

"Yeah, we could tell them the truth." She insists.

"Well, you know that we can't do that." Steve stated seriously.

"We don't have to tell them everything."

"This isn't some game, Nance. If they found out that we told any..." Steve stopped talking, Hailey saw him closing the blinds, but she was still able to hear everything. "They could put us in jail. Okay? Or worse, they could destroy our families. They could do anything they want. Okay? Just think about what you're saying." Steve told her, but she must have done that thing with her face, to make him feel guilty.

"Hey... Hey, hey... Hey, it's..." Steve sighs, unsure of what to say. "It's hard, but let's... let's just go to Tina's stupid party... wear our stupid costumes
that we've been working on for a stupid amount of time, and just pretend like we're stupid teenagers, okay? Can we just do that, just for tonight?" Steve asked, Hailey shook her head, Nancy really had a way to make people feel like their the guilty once.

Hailey quickly exited the library, not wanting the two to see she was there, as she slowly made her way to her next class.

When school came out, Hailey took a nice walk home with Dustin, Lucas and Mike.

"Hey Hailey, what does presumptuous mean?" Dustin asked his sister, still wondering what it actually meant. Hailey looked at her brother, surprised he was even asking her, he usually just asked the boys.

"It's when someone fails to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate." Hailey tells him, his face fell, so it was a bad thing after all, Lucas only shook his head, the boys started talking about something else.

Turns out they ended up being the only one's who had costume's on this year.

"Really, everyone dressed up last year." Mike says disappointed, they got on their bikes sometime ago, tired of walking. "At least it shows you guys still enjoy the fun things, everyone else is just boring." Hailey told them, it made the boys feel a little better about the day.

"Hey, guys?" Dustin speaks up, staring behind them, Hailey also taking a look only to see a car coming straight at them, and it was speeding.

"Go!" Hailey yelled, for them to go faster so they do not get trampled.

"Mike, you need to haul ass!" Dustin yells for his friend falling behind. The four drove onto the sidewalk, and the car went past them, Hailey jumped off her bike.

"You better watch where your driving next time, jackass!!!!" She shouts loudly in anger.

"Holy shit! Was that..." Dustin tries to asks, getting up from the ground.

"Mad Max" Lucas breaths out.

When they arrived at Mike's house, after the whole inscedint about getting run over with a car, Dustin and Lucas pulled hailey to the side.

"Okay, what's going on with you two?" She asks the two skeptical, Dustin took it upon himself to speak up, "Can you maybe not come and trick o treat with us?"

"And why am I being asked this, from you two?" She stared at them making the two a little bit afraid of what she would do. "Uhm, Hailey no offense, but I don't think any girl would wanna be hanging out with us if Dustin's sister keeps hanging around." Lucas spoke up rudely, he didn't want to sound rude.

"Wow, some girl appears in your life, and now I'm not good enough anymore?" Hailey asks, holding her heart like she was in pain.

Hailey turned around walking away from them, Mike staring at the whole encounter in confusion, he couldn't ask what was happening, because Will arrived.

Jonathan stared at Hailey in confusion, as she approached his car. "I thought your going with them?" He asks.

"I was, until I was told I'm not cool enough to hang around with, when there's girl's around." Hailey told him.

"Wait, a girl? What girl?" The Older Byers asked.

"Some new girl, Dustin and Lucas has a little thing for." Hailey states, the two teenagers only started laughing at the younger one's.

"And what about you?" She asks him, he looks at his younger brother, "Will said it woukd be lame if i went with them, and that he doesn't need a babysitter." He told her sadly.

"They're growing up, which means they might not need us anymore." Hailey says sadly, Jonathan nodding his head in agreement.

*°Unedited°*