Chapter 11

✨CHAPTER 11✨

After the funeral, Hailey and the boys ended up back in Mike's basement

After the funeral, Hailey and the boys ended up back in Mike's basement. Mike was telling eleven everything Mr Clarke has told them. "It would take a lot of energy to build a gate like this, but that's got to be what happened, otherwise how'd will get there, right?" Mike informed her. "Right." Eleven only agreed. "What we want to know is do you know where the gate is?" Lucas asked looking at her, Eleven only shook her head no.

"Then how'd you know about the upside down." Lucas was getting snappy again. Hailey was looking at her brother, who was walking up and down, looking like a crazy person. "Dusty, what are you doing?" Hailey asked her little brother, but he didn't hear her.

"Dustin? Dustin!"

"Dustin!"

He finally stopped, turning towards them, "I...I need to see your compasses." Dustin said. "What?" Mike asked confused, why he would want them. "Your compasses. All of your compasses right now!" Dustin demanded, the boys went and got them, placing them down infront of Dustin.

Hailey laid back on the coach closing her eyes, her ears still open to hear what they were saying. "What's so exciting about this?" Mike asked. "Well, they're all facing north, right?" Dustin was not making any sense to them, "Yeah, so?"

"Well, that's not true north." Dustin pointed out. "What do you mean?" Mike asked. "I mean exactly what I just said. That's not true north." Dustin said, Mike and Lucas still looking clueless as ever. "Are you both seriously this dense? The sun rises in the east and it sets in the west, right? Which means that's true north." Dustin explained pointing pass the two.

"So what you're saying is the compasses are broke." Mike said. "Do you even understand how a compass works? Do you see a battery pack on this?" Dustin asked holding up a compass.

"No."

"No, you don't, because it doesn't need one. The needle's naturally drawn to the earth's magnetic North Pole." Dustin told them. "So what's wrong with them?" Lucas asked, Hailey sat up in realization, "Wait, Dustin are you saying we can get to the gate?" Hailey asked looking at her brother.

"Thank you! Someone gets it! I wasn't able to figure it out, but then I remembered. You can change the direction of a compass with a magnet. If there's a presence of a more powerful magnetic field, the needle deflects to that power and then I remembered what Mr Clarke said. The gate would have so much power..." Dustin said getting interrupted by Mike.

"It could disrupt the electromagnetic field."

"Exactly."

"Meaning if we follow the compasses north..."

"They should lead us to the gate."

Hailey stepped out towards her car to get more comfortable shoes on, there was no way she was gonna walk in those death traps. Hailey saw Steve coming from the Wheeler's driveway, Steve saw her standing by her car, he decided to approach her, atleast she wasn't holding a baseball bat.