EIGHTY SECOND INSTALMENT

I got Ava in the car and headed over to Tina's house. All the way there I was worried about Tina, trying to figure out what could possible have happened to upset her.

We arrived at Tina's and I walked straight through the front door without knocking as I was in a rush to find her. I didn't speak and was directed to Tina via her sobbing.

"What's wrong Darl?" I asked as I rushed over to hold her. She was so distraught.

"It's over Emily! It's over!" She said between heavy sighs.

"What happened, what's over?" I said Knowing deep down she was talking about Dave.

"He didn't say why! Why couldn't he tell me why?" At this point I decided talking was not going to help. I needed to calm her and words were not going to help. Ava came over ever so calming and sat down next to Tina, put her tiny hands on Tina's back and started rubbing "it's ok Aunty Tin, you will be ok I won't say it's over" this made Tina turn from me and pick Ava up to sit her on her lap. Tina wiped her tears from her eyes, cheeks and smiled at this innocent little girl

"I know Ava, Aunty Tin will be ok". At this moment my little girl helped her Aunty stop hurting, even if it was killing Tina inside as soon as this happened she pulled herself together, stood up and put the kettle on all the while holding Ava's hand. It's funny how as adults no matter how much we hurt a little child can melt our hearts and kind of make us realise that we have to be the adult..

We sat and had many coffees this day and when Ava went to play in the yard Tina (who was calmer now) started to explain what happened. Dave and Adam were friends, from what I could make out Adam was getting in his ear constantly and this made Dave second guess their engagement. Dave had packed his stuff and driven over to the Navy Base telling Tina it was over before leaving but not really explaining it fully, Tina couldn't understand. She tried to fight for her and Dave but it was not getting through to him. She told me she hadn't even seen it coming. They spent a lot of time with Adam and Donna and never picked up on anything.

I look back on this now and wish I had the insight/life experience that I have now. Dave was weak and a follower, he didn't deserve to have Tina in his life. At the time I couldn't say anything to her as she was so hurt. She needed to hurt in order to get past this. We sat for hours just chatting and by the time I had to go she seemed much better. "If you need anything tonight just call me" I said to Tina. She agreed to call if she needed anything and I would rush over to her.

As Ava and I pulled in to our drive I could hear my phone ringing inside. It was late afternoon almost dinner time for Ava. I remember thinking to myself 'strange that the phones ringing, something must be wrong' we rushed into the house and I grabbed the phone off the wall on what I would assume was the last ring. "Emily" it was Barry again.

"What's wrong mate?" I could hear how anxious he was.

"I'm in Darwin and Rhonda is coming to visit, she wants to talk to me face to face" I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"That's great Barry" I said to him not really believing it deep down but wanting too with all my heart, for his sake.

"I don't know Sis" he was a bit concerned and with good reason it had been years.

"Do you want me to come up?" I asked sensing he didn't want to do this alone.

"Nah, I'll be OK" he said unconvincingly. Right then thoughts rushed through my head. Tina needs a break and this will kill two birds with one stone. I can help them both.

"Barry! I'm getting on a bus and coming up" I heard him sigh a little with relief. I knew my baby brother well enough to know he would never ask me to do anything straight out but right now he needed me.

As soon as we got off the phone I dial Tina "Tina! Pack your bag we're going on a trip" I yelled down the phone in a proud voice.

"What? When? Where?"

"Just pack for warm weather, I'll come get you in the morning" before she could ask any more question I hung up the phone. I spun around to Ava who heard the words "we're going on a trip" and she was jumping up and down with excitement. "We are going to see Uncle Bar" I said to her as I knelt down to her level.

"Eeeeeekkkkkkkkk" she responded. I could not contain her excitement...