[i.ii. go for it]

Start from the beginning

Paige grins. "Nah, but I saw the movie. Just ask Emma Stone."

Royce rolls her eyes with a groan. "You're such a cheerleader, Paigey. Now, get the fuck outta here and leave already! I need this house to study!"

And that, thankfully, is not a lie.

Thankfully, her dad takes Tobe first.

Then, thankfully, her mom finds her keys.

And at 11:55, that just leaves Paige.

Of-fucking-course.

At 11:57, though, thankfully, Jesy pulls up and Paige runs out the door and literally at 12:02, Calum is standing on her doorstep ringing the bell.

"Sorry I'm late," he says, although it's 12:04 as Royce closes the door behind him and leads him into her gigantic house. "I couldn't find a place to fucking park."

Royce waves him off. "It's fine," she says, because he's barely late (I mean, four minutes? C'mon), and had he been on time, he'd have run right into Paige.

And Royce really didn't need Calum running into Paige.

"You're the only one home?" He asks, pausing to look at a baby picture of Royce.

"Yep," she replies.

Then, she groans, tugging his arm to pull him along. "Don't look at that shit."

"What? Why?" He laughs, as he stumbles along behind her. "Jesus you're strong. Why can't I look at the pictures?"

"'Cause you're here to do math, idiot."

"You were cute, Royce."

"And it's all fun and games 'til I hit puberty."

Calum laughs out loud.

"See! Shut up. You don't need to see my awkward stage, okay. Thanks."

"You're hot now, so who cares?"

"I..." Royce shakes her head, happy that he's behind her and can't see how she's blushing. "Whatever. You still can't see 'em."

"Aww, c'mon."

Now, it's Royce's turn to laugh. "Sorry, not sorry."

She leads him through the house and into the kitchen.

"You can sit here," she says, pointing to the little breakfast nook. Calum nods, sliding onto the bench beside her. It's a bright day, so the sun shines through the open windows and falls on Royce's hair and makes it look really shiny and bright and shows off her natural highlights and...

"Calum?"

He snaps his head up. "Yeah?"

Royce is staring at him like he's crazy. "I asked if you wanted something to drink."

"Uh..."

"I've got water, or juice..." She rises from the bench, sliding away from him and out of the sunlight. "Sorry, there's no soda 'cause Paige is on a diet and my mom was all, 'Yeah, let's diet,' and Tobe was all, 'Treat your body like a temple,' and 'Sugar's a disease...'"