Part 43

"Stanley?" A voice breaks me out of my fake sleeping state. I figured if I looked asleep, people would leave me the hell alone, but apparently not. "Have I died and gone to hell already?" I ask, not opening my eyes as I try my best to ignore the incessive beeping that is filling the room. I hate that noise.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

We get it; my heart is beating.

"No. I have been sitting here for two hours waiting to see if you were going to drop your act," the voice snarks, although it's not nearly as snarky as usual, which has me caving as I open my eyes. "You don't have to be nice to me just because we're here," I grumbled, shifting so that I could face the old man in the chair, who just shook his head.

"My Granddaughter is in a hospital bed. I will be as nice as I please," he huffed, making me smile slightly. "That's more like it," I tease, not even hiding the cough that follows my words. "I have spoken to Lanie, and she isn't phoning anyone else, so don't worry about that. We will figure out something to tell your brothers and Taylor. It can be on your terms. No one is going to force you to do anything. Your life just blew up. You are allowed to put your own lifevest on before helping others. You are allowed to figure this all out and get your head around it before you put on a mask of indifference and hope. I know you think you have to be strong for the twins, for Taylor. So you are allowed some time to be weak. But you will have to tell them eventually," Grandfather started, his features unusually soft as he watched me with kind eyes.

"I have also talked to Doctor Sharpe, and we have scheduled your surgery for tomorrow. You will have to stay for three days after to be monitored. But, if all goes well, you will be back home by next weekend. You will stay with me at home for at least a week until you can actually move around, and then you will be free to go home. I heard you finally put the land I bought you to use, so I won't hold you hostage too long. You will have to take it easy for two weeks after that, but you will be right as rain before you know it," Grandfather continues after I finally look at him, furrowing my eyebrows.

That is not the plan.

"That's not the plan. I am waiting for my fever to break, then trying chemo," I mumble, confused. Did I imagine coming to that conclusion? I couldn't have. I know I'm slightly out of it thanks to my fever, but I'm not that out of it, am I? "How did you know I was here?" I follow up, not really remembering how he got here, just the faint memory of knowing he was coming.

"You called. You didn't make much sense, but your manager took the phone and told me where you were. I heard all about your plan, but it was ludicrous. So I had some of the best in the world in a conference call for over an hour while driving here, and we found a better plan," he shrugs, making me scoff. Typical. Of course, my getting sick resulted in him taking over my life.

"I liked my plan. Thanks, though," I dismiss, grabbing the water on the table beside me to sip on. "Your plan was suicide, and this plan is as foolproof as it can be given the circumstances. They think you will be fine in time for the tour—minimal scaring," he waves off my refusal, making me groan.

"Dr Geller is the best in the world. He is going to perform a selective neck dissection. The operation will be performed under general anaesthesia, which means that you will be asleep throughout. Dr Geller will make one or two long cuts to your neck. The skin will then be folded back to allow the surgeon to access the underlying structures. He will remove the tumour, and then you will be cancer-free in a day rather than risking six weeks of chemo without results. You will need to see Dr Geller for a follow-up visit a week after the surgery. The sutures or staples will be removed at this time. Once they are out, you can leave Surrey and go home and tell the others whatever story you wish," Grandfather starts, sending me a pointed look as I move to interrupt.