Chapter 30 - Jeagerists

Start from the beginning

"Wait, we have no intention of fighting you. Didn't you get the military's proposal?" The Commander tried to defuse the situation, and yet the Jeagerists didn't lower their weapons.

"We did. And we promptly rejected it. We refuse to negotiate with your military."

"I see." Hange mumbled after a quick gasp of air. "And why is that?"

"The decision came from Eren. He knew that Commander Pyxis would never leave the fate of the island in our hands willingly. And I agree. I'm sure that Pyxis is frantically devising a plan to ambush Eren and steal the founder, even as we speak."

"You have quite the imagination. Or did this come from one of your sources in the Garrison regiment? You have comrades undercover there, don't you?"

"Do I look like one of your eager lackeys who's going to answer any question that you ask? Get moving." To punctuate his words, Floch loaded the gun in his grasp. There was no mistaking it, he was ready to kill if provoked, so Leah remained rooted on the spot, thinking hard on a way out of this.

"I'm willing to prove that I don't answer to you, if it comes down to it, but I'm hoping that you'll just come along quietly."

Suddenly, Niccolo let out a gasp, his gaze falling on a white clad skin head sandwiched between two Jeagerist soldiers. "Greiz? Don't tell me you brought them? Did Yelena put you up to this??"

After Niccolo's friend all but admitted to betraying the Scout's location to Floch, Hange jumped in. "Floch, listen! We can't afford to waste time fighting amongst ourselves right now. Wine that's been tainted with Zeke's spinal fluid has been disseminated throughout the military. Zeke has us dancing in the palm of his hand. We have to stop him!"

"Actually... we don't. Sounds like those idiot MPs are gonna become even bigger idiots." Floch retorted, amusement dripping from his words. Leah froze. Hange hadn't said anything about it being MPs the wine was given to. Does that mean... "Now let's get moving." With Floch's words, his soldiers jolted to action and a set of hands restrained Leah's arms behind her back with a line of rope.

Leah's eyes darted to Hange, who shared the same look of realisation as Leah. How didn't they see this coming? Zeke had been working with Yelena and the Jeagerists all along. "I never said that the MPs drank it. You're kidding. You knew? You let them drink that poison?"

The manic grin on Floch's face as he turned back to glance at them over his shoulder haunted Leah to the bone. He lifted a finger to his mouth once more, as if a child sharing a secret with his friend, before continuing to the exit. "Keep it down, will ya? This is a family restaurant."

With a sharp tug, Leah was dragged from the room, her head craning this way and that to try and meet the eyes of her squad. She caught Jean's gaze, his eyes open with shock and his face pale.

Outside the building there were horse-drawn carts waiting for them. Leah and Jean were forced into the first empty one they reached and the door abruptly slammed behind them. There was a break of tranquility where the wooden cart was filled with silence, bar the pairs' anxious breathing, before the wheels began rolling and they were on the move again.

"What the hell." Jean repeated for the tenth time. Leah's gaze was fixed outside the window, trying to figure out where they were going. Her hands quivered in her lap as she folded and unfolded them habitually.

"Relax, Jean. We'll figure something out. Right now my most prominent idea is to shoot that smug bastard in the head, but that won't get us anywhere. I trust Hange will have thought of something by the time we get there." Leah reassured the young man before her, who returned her a grateful, half-hearted smile.