XIX

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things

they were the big things."
-Kurt Vonnegut

"Pick up that sword," the king tells me before picking up his own and standing in front of me.

Kian decided to barge into my room this morning, much too early in my opinion, to drag me to the large field in the castle's yard. When I agreed to his lessons, I hadn't thought about their consequences on my sleeping schedule.

I hesitantly take hold of the metal hilt and raise it into the air, struggling a little to hold it upward because of its heavy weight.

"Don't worry, we'll work on your strength and soon enough, you will be able to twirl that blade with your eyes closed," Kian assures me after seeing my uncertain expression.

"You're awfully confident in my future capacities," I laugh.

"That's because you have the Auclair blood running through your veins, Alora."

I mentally scoff at that. I have no idea whether Kian and Celeste are my real parents in this reality or wherever I am. Of course, I have thought about it a lot but I'm having trouble deciphering how it could be possible.

"If you say so," I mutter lowly.

"Hey, chin up," Kian encourages me with a smile gracing his lips. "When you're holding a sword, you keep your head up. Always."

I nod, trying to give myself the motivation I need. I don't have anything to lose by trying, right?

"For now, you can use both of your hands to hold your blade. Now, we can start with the basics. Follow my movements," he orders while getting in a fighting stance.

I nod once again and concentrate on replicating the king's movement. I place my right foot slightly further behind and when he slashes his sword in the air in a quick motion, I do as well only a bit more wobbly than I intended to. Kian withdraws his weapon to his side and I follow his lead, earning an approving nod from him.

He starts a sequence of different movements which I replicate with concentration, getting more and more confident with every proud smile he throws my way.

We stay there, copying each other's movements, for almost an hour and even my newly found motivation can't help the ache I start feeling in my biceps.

"Are your arms starting to hurt?" Kian asks me with a not-so-reassuring smirk planted across his bearded face.

"More like they're killing me," I groan as I finally let my sword fall on the grass.