XIV

Raven, Crow  (Corvid)A symbol of the void;The darkness where things are born

Raven, Crow (Corvid)
A symbol of the void;
The darkness where things are born.

"Aloraaaa. Wake up, darling, we have a wonderful day ahead of us."

I groan out loud at the annoying voice waking me up, but the sound is quickly muffled by my pillow.

"Don't sound so enthusiastic," Cateline  sarcastically says from her spot beside me on the comfortable bed. "Now, get up or I'll have to use force."

I roll onto my other side so my back is facing her and try to go back to sleep. Other than the blonde's voice ringing in my ear, I suddenly become aware of the corset I wore all night digging painfully into my skin and tightly around my bust. So, much to my dismay, I sit up with a loud sigh.

"Alright, I'm up, you impatient girl," I tell her jokingly. "Before anything, just help me take off this corset or I'm probably going to faint any seconds now."

She giggles, happy that she got me out of bed. "Of course, my princess."

"Stop that, you're a princess too," I remind her as we both head in front of the mirror.

"But I am in your humble kingdom, Your Majesty," Cateline continues while starting to unlace the back.

I look at her through the glass with a smile. " Alright, I give up. Tell me about your family." I suddenly change the subject, curious about her life as a real princess.

"Well, you've already met my parents and I have a little sister, back in Kallista. Mother and father preferred she stayed at home because of the war. They say she's too young to see any of the war's reality and didn't want to take any chances."

I frown sadly. "No child should ever see any of those horrible things."

"You're right, but how about we stop talking about such terrible subjects huh? We should enjoy the peace our kingdoms have until the war spreads."

"How about you tell me why you woke me up so early?" I demand still annoyed at the brutal wake-up I had a few minutes ago.

"We are going to the city down the hill. I haven't had the chance to make a trip there yet and who better to accompany me than the princess herself?" She bats her eyelashes at me with a hopeful smile, giving me no choice but to crack and smile back.

"As long as we stop to eat," I negotiate, earning a cheerful yes and an excited hug. Who am I to refuse a little girl shopping?

•••

"Must you really follow us all day?"

"I won't answer that because the answer is still the same as the last time you asked me. Which, by the way, was five minutes ago, my princess."