XVIII

"A sky full of stars and he was staring at her"-Atticus

staring at her"
-Atticus

A deadly silence looms over the meeting room as we wait for the king and queen to arrive. Earlier this morning, Delmont started knocking at my door to escort me here and we both walked all the way without uttering a single word to each other. He probably thinks my lack of usual annoying comments was due to my apprehension about this meeting but only I know the true reason behind it.

There hasn't been a single second where I didn't think about yesterday's events. I remember the way he had slaughtered all those people without a single ounce of hesitation. But then, also the way he had cleaned my wound so gently as if his shirt wasn't full of the blood of his victims.

I gulp and straighten my back hoping nobody could read thoughts in this place. I quickly look to my right to see Delmont already looking at me carefully. Oh no, tell me he can't get inside my head.

"What?" I ask lowly so as to not bring too much attention. "Are you scared I'll get assassinated right next to you?"

"Maybe," he mutters back as he leans closer, aware of the silence just as much as me.

"Well quit looking at me like that." I feel a sudden shiver run along my spine and I wrap my arms around myself. The cool air quickly makes me regret the off shoulder-dress I'm wearing.

"Like what?" He asks, playing dumb.

"Just stop it," I respond. "It's an order."

Delmont raises an eyebrow and seems truly amused at my demand. "I'm having trouble following an order I don't understand, my princess."

I huff and turn completely in my seat so I can face him. "Drop the attitude, Delmont."

"Yes, Miss," he says with the usual hint of amusement in his tone. "Have you slept well? You are awfully moody this morning."

I hate him. Next time we pass by a set of stairs, I'm pushing him down.

"I just told you-" I start with anger only to be interrupted by the doors opening loudly.

Delmont throws one last wink at me before Celeste interrupts our conversation by speaking loudly for the whole room to hear.

"Yesterday, Skia entered our kingdom and roamed the walls of our castle expecting to capture the heir of Kallista. By doing so, they officially opened hostilities against us." She speaks with such authority that I find myself watching her with admiration.

Kian and her take their place to my left and the king continues after his wife's launch.

"We will send most of our troups to help Chrysos. General Mclaggen, you and your soldiers are leaving first thing next morning. Your trip is already being planned and if you keep a steady pace, you'll reach the kingdom in a little less than two weeks."