Chapter 14: I'll Protect You

Mirio

"So..that happened." I began nervously, crossing my arms as I playfully nudge Tamaki's shoulder.

He looked to the ground, his eyes in deep thought, it must of taken a lot out of him to do something like this.

"Mm..yeah." He answered, covering his face in his hair.

"Look," I sighed and ran a hand into my hair. "I really don't want to ruin anything between us, you know?"

"I..was hoping it wouldn't." He says back, glancing up at me.

"You're- my world. You've- We've always been there for each other. As friends! And now," I shook my head and looked at him again.

It was harder to remain eye contact, and it ended just as fast.

"I..didn't want to hurt you." He mumbled back, his eyes getting teary. "You don't know how long..I've had this crush on you. I tried to tell you! I- I really did! But, nothing went through your head.."

Tamaki placed his hands in his lap. I watched and gave a slight smile, doing the same with my own.

He noticed and looked at me, we both gave off a small laugh before getting quiet.

"I- never knew. It's my fault." I sighed, pinching the brink of my nose in frustration. "I'm so dumb-"

"You're not dumb."

"So..you always wanted to be more than friends with me?"

"I thought..it was obvious-"

"Am I the only one who didn't pick up on this message?!" I blurt, groaning as my quirk made me sink into the couch.

I'm so ashamed. It was something so simple toooo..

Tamaki laughed and scooted closer, we were now inches away from each other. "Mirio, you're sinking-"

"Ah! Sorry-" I exclaimed, jumping back up. I let my body adjust before getting back to normal. "What the heck is going on today.."

"Is..this not the first time?" He asked, frowning slightly. "Is everything okay?"

"I- don't know! My emotions have been..all over the place. I think.." I sat down next to him and looked away. "I'm tired..and I can't focus."

I can tell he felt bad, really bad. He placed a hand on my shoulder before taking a shaky deep breath. "Me neither."

Tamaki looked unsure. "What happens now?"

"I want.." I smiled and looked at him.

Is this what I've wanted this whole time?

I grabbed his hands and held them in my own.

I'll protect you with my life, Tama.

That's what I've told myself and it's a promise I'm going to keep.

You're insecurities, and your faults, I'll make sure you never get unhappy ever again.