Chapter 5: Overwhelmed

Mirio

Me and Tamaki took the shortest route, giving us about 5 more minutes to get to UA.

I'm sure we could make it.

Tamaki smiled at me, and cupped his hands to his mouth, the cold seeming to be hard for him to adapt in. I just smiled back, I could see right through him.

I wrapped an arm around his small body, causing the boy to look up at me. "Thank you.."

"You know what? Whenever you want to thank me, just smile and I'll know!"

"Oh..okey," Tamaki then took a deep breath and sighed shakily. "W-Where's your uniform? We're almost there.."

"Ah! Right.." I laughed and put one of my hands on my hips.

"We've got a presentation with the new years, right? I'll just tell him that I wanted to pizzazz them! Give them an example of what they should be thinking about when getting their hero outfits ready-"

"How," He looked at me in confusion. "-do you do that?"

"Doooo..what?"

"Act like..everything is fine all the time. I don't even remember a time where you've been.." He paused and thought for a moment.

I frowned slightly. "Well, I know everything isn't always fine- but, I like to think in a positive way! That everything will work out in the en-!"

"Except for..Nighteye."

Night..

My eyes widened as I slowed to a stop. I don't think my body has completely processed that Nighteye was gone because my hands began to get shaky.

"He was a great person..I know he meant a lot to you..and I could tell. You were so upset-"

It was like everything got dark, and the walls started closing in.

"Mir-"

It was so hard to breathe.

It should have been me.

It feels..

It was like I could feel the physical pain Nighteye went through, as if there was a weight on my chest. Tamaki stared at me with wide eyes, he was standing as he was above me. Above?

I held my head and took a deep breath. His words were getting drowned out, like I was underwater. I hadn't realized that I collapsed to the ground, one of my hands dug into the dirt and I..

I should've..

Why is nighteye coming up all of a sudden? I mourned, I did what I was told, I tried to move on..

He was..

It's getting so cold..

I was so blindsided, so gullible to think that we could get out of that battle unscathed..

Everyone..was hurt.