1 - Baxter

Chapter Photo credits:

Baxter Kane took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose

Baxter Kane took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. He looked around his hotel room and sighed. The accommodations were exemplary, but the purpose of his trip nagged at him. Who was he to stand in the way of love? As long as there was a good prenup in place, he would support his sister's choice of a husband. Tate could do so much better than a ski bum whose family owned a chain of sports stores. Baxter never expected the oldest of his two sisters to choose a guy just like their younger brother, Kasper. His youngest sister, Doyle, Kasper's twin, had a knack for finding losers, but Tate was a smart, intelligent lawyer. She was the only other of the four Kane children who pulled their weight at Kane Properties. Baxter worried Doyle and Kasper would never grow up.

The name of the company didn't do it justice. The centuries old business owned commercial real estate in every city in the United States and beyond. Baxter's ancestors started with warehouses along Boston harbor. Family lore told a tale of their warehouses storing the tea which was dumped in the harbor. Later they owned the factories that fueled the industrial revolution. In modern days, skyscrapers leased for office space, retail, and hotels fueled their profits. Unlike some competitors who leveraged themselves, Kane invested wisely.

Baxter had learned from his father who came from a long line of successful businessmen. At sixty-five, Philip Kane was semi-retired. His wife, Amelia insisted he slow down after the cardiologist placed a stent in his coronary artery. Eight years younger than her husband, Amelia had been pushing a healthy, stress-free lifestyle on Philip. Baxter didn't think Tate's wedding would be stress free, but perhaps the oatmeal Philip ate every day for breakfast would balance it out.

Baxter's personal assistant, Danielle, sat at a small table typing on her laptop. She had flown to Colorado with the family in their private jet for the wedding. As his right hand, she was integral to his success and an honorary member of the family. Most men had a good woman behind their success; Danielle was his.

She clicked the mouse with a flare. "And send." She looked at him. "You're late for your family meeting."

"Shit! Can I skip it?" He stretched his neck.