VI: SOFIA

"I'm Sofia Delacier," I said quickly as I sat back down not really liking the attention.

The teacher seems to understand what I wanted as she took the chance to stand in front and discuss the syllabus for the year. I listened and jotted down notes to study in advance.

Then. A tap.

I tore my gaze away from my notebook and towards the person behind me. "I'm Peter, " he said smiling at me. I smiled back and aimed my gaze back towards my notebook. Someone tapped on my shoulder again. I sighed. I'm starting to hate my decision sitting in front. This seat was supposed to make me focus on the board and not on someone behind. Suddenly, someone flopped down beside me. I looked towards my new deskmate. It was Peter smiling at me. I smiled back and without a word returned to jotting down notes.

"You're too quiet, " he said but I didn't look at him. I hummed in response. "How old are you?, " he added.

"18, " I answered still not tearing my eyes away from my notebook.

"I'm 19, " he suddenly said and I dropped my pen. I looked at the teacher who is now sitting on her chair first and turned to look at this boy beside me.

I couldn't find the words to say next. "Black sheep of the family, " he shrugged as if it answers all of the unspoken questions in my mind. I nodded and thought of an answer because I, at least, owe him that. "Family matters, " I answered and he nodded in return. Both have vague answers.

"This is my third school, " he said as he grabbed a pencil from his bag and started to draw on his notebook.

"This is my first, " I whispered. Half wishing he wouldn't hear and half wishing he'd understand. 

"Were you home-schooled?, " he asked.

"Yes, " I whispered again.

"I wish I had been, " he said smiling and I couldn't tear my eyes away from him. His thick raven black hair tucked behind his ears. His brows furrowed as he focused his eyes on his notebook. His lips pursed in deep concentration and his thick dark long eyelashes hiding his eyes. "You know, " he started clicking his tongue. "I could feel your eyes on me, " he continued.

I cleared my throat and sat straight ---- more like stiff ---- on my seat. I tried to hide my embarassment but I felt my face burning. He chuckled. "Your ears are pink, " he said still chuckling. I shut my eyes and wished that no one could hear us. I turned around and saw the whole class drift into their own conversations. I sighed, relieved.

"But if it helps, you look cute, " he threw me a charming smile. He's one talented boy. I thought to myself.

"I wasn't, " I started but cut myself and breathed in. "I wasn't looking at you, " I continued to reason.

"Actually, I can see your reflection on my wristwatch, " he said as a matter of fact to me. Oh. I palmed my forehead in realization and, true enough, I saw his black digital watch latched on his wrist. "Yes oh, " he added with a chuckle.

"And if it helps you again, I don't charge anyone who stares at me, " he said as his lips tugged into a playful smirk.

"It's not what you think it is, " I defended myself.

"Oh? What do you think I'm thinking of?, " he asked as he raised his eyebrows at me.

"That---uh---that I like you?, " I answered unsure.

"So.....you don't like me?, " he asked me feigning hurt in his expression.

"No. I mean. You're nice. I like you. I mean I like you as a friend. I was just..... I was just looking at you without liking you? I mean without crushing on you? Wait! That sounds wrong. I mean-----"

"I know what you mean, " he cuts me off laughing lightly at my rambling. "Your ears are really pink, " he added as he laughed loudly that the whole class stopped conversing and stared at him but they didn't look annoyed. They were smiling.

"You're smiling, " he abruptly stopped laughing and smiled at me. Was I? I thought to myself. "You're contagious, " I blurted out. My eyes widened at what I said. "I mean your laugh, " I added nodding.

"I know, " he responded still smiling. "You should smile more often. It suits you, " he winked at me before returning his focus on his drawing.

A comfortable silence stretched between us. I smiled. I made a friend. A knock echoed in the room. I looked up to see a girl with a pixie cut hair and with a smile too wide for her face.

"Miss Rainberly, " she greeted at the teacher who now looked up from her seat and smiled at the girl. "May I make an announcement?, " she added.

The teacher whose name was Rainberly nodded and went out of the classroom.

"Why didn't you make use of the intercom Rhea?, ” Peter suddenly said. I stared at the girl whose name was Rhea who's looking blankly at Peter. I looked at the smirking Peter beside me. I think he loves to see this girl all riled up. Without a change from her tone earlier she said, "The intercom's audio sucks. I was suposed to just paste these on each of the information boards around the campus but I saw you and I thought maybe you'll help me disseminate information for our screening, won't you?"

"What makes you think I'll help you?, " Peter said laughing at her. The whole class watched the exchange in fear while I just sighed at my deskmate who is undoubtedly looking for trouble. "Okay," Peter suddenly said shrugging.

"Stop sighing as if you carry the world's weight on your shoulders, " he whispered and I sucked a breath at the contact. His breath fanning the spot under my ears is not a funny experience at all. He chuckled as he got up and stood in front.

"Hi! My name's Rhea and I'm the School Paper Publication's Editor in Chief and we will be holding a screening for new members tomorrow,  Thursday at 3 pm in the TVL Hall, " she said as she handed out flyers.

"Those who likes to write, capture photos, broadcast and draw you are welcome to the organization. What I mentioned are just the basic things you need to have and we will go from there, " Peter added his charming smile. He grabbed a few posters and took a seat beside me again.

"Peter!, " Rhea huffed. "I thought you said you'll help me!, " she added whining. The whole class is now drifting into their own conversations once again.

"I will, " Peter said nonchalantly. "Later, " he added. Rhea left the room and Peter whistled a song before bursting into fits of laughter.

"She's so uptight sometimes that I love to rile her up, " he said still laughing. I put back a smile that threatens to paint on my face.

"So what are you in the paper?, " I asked him curiously as he was not introduced earlier.

"I'm a cartoonist. Rhea and I met at Schools Press Competitions and Workshops, " he shrugged.

"You draw?," I asked unbelievably. "And you say you're the black sheep, " I added with a smile. He laughed lightly.

"Yes. I've been at it since I could remember. How about you, do you draw?, " he asked me. I nodded, "I started when I was 12."

He hummed in response. "Why 12?, " he asked and I tensed at his question. I scolded myself for being too comfortable with him as I blurt things out without thinking. "Someone taught me, " I answered and averted my eyes outside.

"You're a fast learner then, " he concluded.

"No!, " I defended quickly. "I'm not that good, " I added.

He scoffed, "Something's telling me that that's not true."

"Really I'm not, " I defended again. "You on the other hand must be the best to be an instant member, " I added.

"Nah..., " he said nonchalantly. "They just know me already, " he explained.

I nod as he stared at his drawing. I slowly inched my body closer to his and raised my neck higher so I could see what he's ben drawing. I blinked. Twice. I blinked again. He turned his head towards me and smiled.

"Is that.... Is that me?," I asked him in disbelief. He just smiled. "Why?" I asked again. He smiled in response.

"Why did you draw me?" I whispered.