Psychopaths and Making Time

Start from the beginning

"I mean, to be fair, I didn't know he was awful to you," she replied, fidgeting her hands together. She looked up at me, and I smiled widely at her. Her cheeks flushed, and I felt my heart pick up. I was going to be brave again.

"Did you drive here?" I asked, my heart picking up from my nerves. She shook her head.

"I walked – I l-like walking," she answered. I nodded and took a deep breath, steeling myself for my next move.

"Can I walk you home later? Just to make sure you get there safe?" I asked, knowing that my van was parked out front. I held my breath, waiting for her answer. She grinned and nodded, making my heart pound. I smiled back at her, thrilled my plan had come together. I pulled her closer to me, my chest swelling with pride when she leaned into me.

---

I was holding Dolly's hand. I was holding her hand! And she wasn't pushing me away or insisting on space – she had even squeezed my hand and pulled me closer.

"Oh, come on. I told you about my love life tonight," she said, leaning into me. I smiled down at her, and I dropped her hand. I immediately snaked my arm around her waist. I felt my heart pound as she mirrored me and set her around me, as well.

"You don't want to hear about why my dumb friends call me a dumb nickname," I joked, walking in step with her.

"I want to hear any story from you," she replied. I felt my chest swell with pride as I looked down at her. I couldn't believe where I was. Maybe she did like me back. I smiled at her.

"Okay," I started, pulling her tighter to me. "It's just because I haven't really dated or anything for the last couple of years."

"Why not?" she asked. I shrugged.

"I've been pretty focused on taking care of Maggie," I explained. I smiled at her. "She's not the most amenable to change."

Dolly laughed and nodded, understanding what I meant. I cleared my throat.

"N-not that I w-wouldn't want t-to date the right girl, though," I insisted, trying to make it clear to her that I thought she was the right girl. Dolly nodded.

"You're a good brother, Eddie," she said, smiling at me. I felt my chest fill with pride.

"It means a lot to me that you believe in her," I said, being honest with her. She nodded.

"She's easy to believe in. She's a smart kid – just spirited," she replied. I grinned at her.

Dolly was absolutely the right girl.

We strolled up to a tall apartment building, and she slowed down, prompting me to stop with her. She looked up at it and smiled.

"This is my stop," she said quietly. I looked down at her, her face lit up under the streetlights, and I wanted to be brave again.

"Thanks for letting me walk you home," I said. She beamed up at me.

"You're a gentleman for offering," she replied. I grinned at her.

"Anything for you," I insisted. She laughed and nodded. Our arms were still around each other, and I didn't want to let her go.

"Do...did you want to come up for a drink?" she asked nervously.

I felt my grin grow into a goofy smile and nodded excitedly as my heart started to pound. She grinned back and started to pull me inside, taking my hand in hers. I could tell I was tipsy because I couldn't stop thinking about how soft her hand was and how good she smelled.

We couldn't stop giggling as we traipsed down her hallway together, hand in hand. She stopped at her door, pulling a set of keys out of her bag and unlocking it. She smiled bashfully before opening the door.