Shakespeare

Maggie had been furious when I told her what Eddie and I had discussed – I knew that she probably felt betrayed, and no matter how much I tried to tell her that it was a good thing.

"I could actually start being an asshole in class if you want me to," Maggie snapped. I sighed and leaned back in my desk chair. "I can absolutely be an asshole."

"Maggie, this isn't a bad thing—"

"Sure, General Brooks," she hissed. I pursed my lips and handed her a pen and notepad.

"I just need your address, please," I repeated.

I hoped that when she talked to Eddie, he would be able to explain the reasoning behind the lessons. I genuinely did want to do this for her – actually challenging her would be great for her and her future. She snatched the pad and pen from me, scribbling furiously. She tossed it onto my desk and stormed off. I sighed and pulled the page out, folding it into a small square and placing it in my purse.

I smiled down at it – a small part of me was thrilled that I had more solid evidence that I was going to see Eddie again. I shook my head. God, I needed to be more professional. A cute boy smiled at me a couple times and I'm a mess in a dress.

The next day at school, Maggie was more amenable, and we even worked through when we would start the lessons. I had to assume that Eddie talked to her. It was apparent that they had a strong relationship, and that she trusted him tremendously. I was hopeful that these lessons would be good for her, and that Eddie vouching for them wouldn't be a mistake.

I got home that Friday night, and I felt a wave of nerves. I took a deep breath and went to my fridge, pulling a bottle of wine out of the fridge and a large wine glass. I dropped onto my couch and poured myself a drink, taking a large sip. I tapped my foot on the ground, getting more and more antsy.

"Come on, Rob," I said to myself, staring at my phone. And right on time, it started ringing. I picked it up and took a deep breath. "I am so glad you called."

"Oh, I miss you, too, Dolls," she teased. I heard her flop on her couch, and Katherine said something to her in the background. "Kath, I'm talking to Dolly, give me a second."

"Did you have a good day?" I asked, not really listening for an answer, but not wanting to be a crappy friend.

"Everything is the same, nothing has changed – now you fill me in," she insisted. I sighed with relief – Robin really was the best. "Was shithead a shithead?"

"Shithead is related to the cute mechanic!" I burst out.

"What?" Robin squawked. I smiled and nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "I thought he was our age – you teach, like, high school, right? Shithead is his spawn?"

"He's her older brother!" I replied, slipping into the schoolgirl crush I was in. "He came in for her parent/teacher conference."

Robin was quiet for a beat.

"And?" she asked, prompting me to keep going. I smiled.

"Robin, he's so great," I gushed. "Like, so sweet, and just such a good brother."

"I cannot believe that your knight in shining armor is shithead's brother," she said, stunned.

"Me neither," I continued. "And get this – we're going to do her lessons at their place. He suggested it. So, I'll see him all of the time!"

"Oh, you guys are about to smash," Robin teased, making me blush.

"Robin, please!" I admonished. She loved putting me on the spot like this, she knew how easy it was to embarrass me.