14. Different People

Start from the beginning

- Ace Moretti - 

Groaning, I rolled over, feeling a stinging pain run up my entire leg. I grabbed the leg, as I tried to roll back, feeling even more pain. It felt like I had walked through an entire fire and had come out with an entire body covered in burns. This was the worst feeling, and I so badly wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible. 

Opening my eyes, I tried to adjust to the bright light that was blinding me in the face. I tried so hard not to move my body and push the bright light out of my face at the same time, but the searing pain just seemed to get worse whenever I moved something. This wasn't good, and I knew it. This was more than just a surgery. 

"Ace, stop moving" a voice murmured, but everything felt so distant, so far away. The only thing that I knew that was really close to me, was the ringing in my ears and the pain up my left leg. That was all I knew, and I didn't want it to be that way. I wanted it to be pain free and to be out of this hospital bed and away from the blinding lights everywhere. 

I tried to shake my head, but I just felt like I couldn't control anything. It felt like I couldn't even move my own body. It was like I had been run over by a truck and then someone tried to put everything back together but it just wasn't working. My body just wasn't cooperating and neither was my brain. Nothing was helping to quench the stinging pain up my leg nor the ringing in my ears. 

I tried to open my eyes further, to gather an understanding of the people that were trying to stop me from moving. I didn't think I was moving, as I knew that I couldn't. "ACE!" a voice boomed, and suddenly, I knew that voice all too well. He had been the one that had looked after me, over my own parents. He had been there for so long, before he just disappeared and became a different person. 

"Just, just make it stop" I gritted out, before I felt everything black out once again. I felt the pain stop, the ringing disappeared, and everything was still for a moment. It was always for a moment. I then felt like my body was falling through something, and I couldn't wake up to make it stop. 

---

"Here, eat this" everyone had left my room, leaving me and Blaze to be alone for a little while. I had woken up once again, and now, I was feeling a little better. I don't know what was happening, but I didn't dare move my body. "Thanks" I murmured to my brother, as he fed me some disgusting soup, but I couldn't really taste it anymore. 

All I wanted to do was go back to boarding school and never come back home. I was really regretting defying everything back there, as I knew I would be in trouble if I ever went back. "Blaze" I muttered, the questions that were running through my mind on the tip of my tongue. He was the only person that had never lied to me throughout my life. 

If anything, I had neglected Blaze, as he had been my best friend out of all of my brothers. Vincenzo was a father figure, not a best friend, and he was rarely a brother to me. He cared for me more than I knew he should have, and that must have ruined him. It must have teared a part of his soul out of his body, only for it to be smashed back into him when he returned home to deal with the shithole he left. 

"Yeah?" he muttered, not looking me in the eye. I knew he assumed that I was going to ask about that girl that was brought in the other day, causing me to be in the position that I was in, but it wasn't her fault, and never will be, only my fault. I never should have moved but no one ever tells me anything anymore, so I had no idea that surgery had happened of my foot, or so I presumed. 

Everyone kept the truth from me, just filling me with lies. I was nearly 18, and I knew that meant that I would be more involved in my brothers work, but that didn't mean that they couldn't tell me shit now. I mean, why should an age defy what I'm told, when all along I have been exposed to shit that I know I shouldn't have been through my parents. 

I had been slapped by my own brother for trying to figure out the web of lies anyways. I wanted to do it again, but I knew that I would never do it again, especially in my condition. "Do you know anything about Silas? The boy that was there after I got hurt? Do you know if he has come by any chance?" 

Silas Rossi had been by my side since I started at boarding school, and I knew that he came from a troubled background. I knew my background was bad, but his was worse. My parents were the main issue in my crumbling family, and that my brothers didn't really have a connection with one another anymore, but I knew that Silas had been to hell and back for his father, and his mother. 

He had suffered things he didn't deserve for someone that had such a pure heart like his. "I haven't seen him-" I knew it from those words, as I quickly turned my head to search for my phone. "Do you have my phone?" I questioned, not even allowing him to speak much before he was quickly up and looking through the room. 

"Its not here" and with that, panic immediately filled my entire body. "Can you call Lorenzo then?" I knew he would have my phone for sure. I just needed to get my phone. Right on cue, Lorenzo walked into the room, anger pouring out from his body, as he looked between the two of us then and there. 

"What are you doing, Blaze?" no shortened names were being used, which meant that shit was either going down with our father, or Vincenzo. I knew that the two of them were going through shit and it was blatantly obvious today. I knew that Lorenzo was not happy with what Vincenzo had been doing beforehand, and now, it looked as if it hadn't only gotten worse. 

They used to be a pair, the two of them, as they were only a year apart. "Lorenzo, do you have my phone?" my voice sounded so quiet and crackly, that I hated it. I tried to clear it, but he just handed me a glass of water, and said nothing about my phone. I was worried about Silas, as I hadn't heard from him since he had appeared at my school.

I had snuck him in there, as there was no way he was able to go home till he had finished at the boarding school. He had told me so, and he still had come with me to my shit hole of a family. I was worried that he had been found out that he had come home, and I just needed to contact him. 

I could feel my medication starting to work, and I think Lorenzo could see that to. "Ace, go to sleep. Rest. Blaze, come with me" and with that, I watched the way my brothers had changed over the years, just from the way they walked out on me, never once turning to look and see if I was okay. That was how it had always been. 

---

thoughts? xx

thoughts? xx