“Well?” You questioned. “Are you coming?”

Pitch’s brows furrowed. “With you?”

You shrugged while maintaining your sureness. “I can’t get any more immortal, can I?” You lured with dribbling sarcasm down your lips. “Where else?”

His expression rose, eyes darkening with approval before he began making his way back toward you to join you. “How could I ever turn down an invitation from you?”

* * *

You gowned yourself in black and silver from the previous day’s event of your crowning, hair loose and free and skin refreshed from your rinse off. Pitch walked at your side to lead the way down through the caverns of the lair into deeper areas you had yet to explore thoroughly due to the lack of light. You were not sure of what to expect when he said to you that he had a surprise for you, but you suspected formality when his choice of attire consisted of a heavy black trench jacket highlighted with the crimson high collar and fabric waistline belt between the gilded buttons that cried Golden Age.

His patience pushed him to remain hand in hand at your side while guiding you down lower into your kingdom at a quickened walk, but that did not stop him from wandering a few steps a few times in internal anticipation. Each time he caught himself with a glance over his shoulder at you, he then slowed his pace for you to catch up. The two of you proceeded further and further into the caverns’ depths where the shadows swallowed you whole and the light from the surface was barely touching any longer. The light silk-like material of your flowing gown picked up where it trained behind you and wavered at the hanging sleeves each time your speed walk skipped into a heightened speed. Every time you dove into complete darkness, you held on tighter to the hand wrapped around yours with trust and reached another patch of light once more.

The echoes of your exchanged murmurs and chuckles to one another faded away with the slowing of your pace when Pitch stopped you several meters from a nearing light-filled opening at the end of the narrow cave where you stood. That’s when he stepped in front of you, and your stare met his when he pivoted around to face you.

“Close your eyes,” he spoke.

“What?”

He cocked his head at your reply. That’s when, without hesitation, he silently maneuvered around your figure until he was behind you. Before you knew it, his palms were set over your vision.

“Why are you -”

“Walk with me.”

You giggled over his words when he ushered for you to move, but you obliged and steadily began moving forward again. With him as your guide, you did not speed ahead and instead kept him close while you continued together down the rest of the cave. Your arms lowered from holding themselves out in front of you to grasping the front of your skirt in bunches to avoid tripping, knowing your king would steer you clear of obstacles.

You could barely tell when you entered the new space at the opening of the cavern into one of the deepest points of the lair where somehow light was beaming in from high above, unknown to your temporary blindness. When he stopped you in your tracks again, you awaited with an awkward smile holding back another wave of laughter at how ridiculous you must have appeared in the moment.

“I have told you before that there are eighty-eight constellations known to Earth…” He whispered from behind you, not yet removing his hands from your eyes.

“Yes,” you responded warily, trying to take guesses now about what he was about to reveal to you. “And?”

“Would you like to see more?”