He would never know that the girl who used to write him letters was me...

Not after he made fun of my genuine words and feelings for him...

Beastie doesn't know, but I do. That memory is still clear as day in my head when I overheard Aubrey's call with Ares while I was in the washroom.

"You don't need to feel so bothered about those letters, Ares!" Aubrey's voice surprised me, but I paused, hearing her talking about letters.

"Yeah, I know, you showed me a few letters but don't laugh at the poor girl, she was just confessing her feelings. Although her words were silly, but don't make fun of her like this. She would stop anyway, now that she knows we are together..."

I never shared this with anyone; it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I know my letters could be silly, but it was only for him, not to show them to anyone.

Moreover, he didn't have a right to disrespect my feelings like that. I swore that day, that Ares would never know about this again, I would make sure of it.

"Then...? What are you going to do?" Esme's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

Pushing away the memories, I responded, "As we've planned, I'll resign, and we'll relocate."

Esme's frame tensed, registering my words. "About that..." Her voice trailed off.

I furrowed my eyebrows and raising my head from her shoulder, I looked up at her. "Ely! I don't think we would be moving anywhere."

"Why?" I raised my eyebrows, questioningly.

"I asked Doctor Finn, Ely, and he said mom's condition isn't safe for her to move to another place for now. We can't go anywhere..." My lips parted, recalling mom's condition.

That's right! Her condition worsened in the past few days, and it's impossible to relocate now.

I sat straight, running fingers through my hair, thinking about the things that have been happening in the past few weeks.

Our lives have changed drastically since the day we lost dad. Nothing has been the same as before, and for years, it seemed like we were just running relentlessly without a destination.

The day mom and dad told me about my mother, Sierra Wills, they took a promise from me, that I would never try to look for that man who was responsible for every misery my mother faced.

If things were different, and mom wasn't so alone after dad, I would have searched for the man; I would have demanded answers from him directly, but nothing matters to me more than mom's health, and I would not risk it for anything in the world.

"What are we going to do about them, Beastie?" I rested my elbows on my knees rubbing my face with my hands and sighed in frustration.

Esme mirrored my actions, resting her elbows on her knees as she locked eyes with me. "Let's confront it, Ely. We've been hiding in the shadows for years, all for the sake of Mom. This time, let's not just hide; let's brace ourselves for what's coming. It's not like we are breaking a promise; it's them who are looking for us, not us!" She responded.

She was right! We have faced enough things in our lives, seen enough people, and now there was no way we could avoid it further.

We just need to hide our weaknesses from them, and that's mom.

"Shouldn't we tell Sven about mom?" Esme asked. I looked at her, deep in thought. It was mom who said not to tell Sven anything about her health. His father was enough trouble in his life, and he hated us for being Sven's friends because of our background.