#005

"the council really went over the top to help me," the cupid mumbled, observing her home. the apartment was well decorated and all the furniture were already placed neatly. reminders of her celestial home also lingered such as the heart shaped magnets on the refrigerator and a cupid doll that sat on the couch.

"now that the higher-ups gave me this place, it means i should continue my duty while helping him as a human." y/n hummed. she plopped herself on the couch, sinking comfortably as she hugged the cupid doll. "what should i do? how should i help him? what if he thinks i'm stalking him?" i frowned, "a cupid he met on the rooftop became his neighbour out of the blue... never mind, i'll deal with that later. i should start finding ways to interact with him naturally and gain information. that boy is depressed." she mumbled to herself.

"sir cupid, what should i do?" she brought the cupid plush out, staring at it.

"whatever you do shall be successful, lady y/n. the council trusts you." the plushie answered, surprising the female.

"a talking plush? really?" the cupid giggled. she wasn't expecting the plush to talk.

knock. knock. knock.

"pizza delivery!"

huh? the cupid stood up, confused as she went to her door. she didn't order pizza. the soft knock on her door resonated through the quiet hallway. swinging her door open, she stared at the man cladded in red, holding a box of pizza. "sorry, i think you got the wrong house. i didn't order pizza." y/n spoke. the pizza man glanced at the order slip in his hands and bowed apologetically. "sorry, wrong house." he retraced his steps to yeonjun's apartment, who lived right next door.

as the man knocked on yeonjun's door, the sound echoed in the hallway. the boy opened the door with a slightly bewildered expression. his eyes bore traces of recent tears.

"sorry about the confusion. here's your pizza," the delivery guy said, handing over the boxes.

yeonjun, in his slight daze, mumbled his thanks and began to close the door when y/n stepped into view. recognition flashed in his eyes, and a hint of surprise registered on his face.

"y/n? you live here?" he asked, a touch of disbelief in his voice.

y/n nodded with a warm smile. "yeah, just moved in. small world, huh?"

yeonjun managed a small smile in return, the surprise lingering in his eyes. "didn't know the house was occupied... i didn't hear any noise of you moving too."

"uh," y/n's eyes widened and her mind raced to give him a buyable answer. "i... i settle in quite fast. the apartment already had all the furniture so it wasn't a huge move. yeah."

"good for you. i had to buy all my furniture," the boy remarked with a shrug. in hopes of changing the subject, y/n's eyes darted towards the pizza boxes. "wow, that's quite a feast you've got there," she remarked with a playful grin, pointing to the boxes.

yeonjun chuckled nervously, a slight blush tinting his cheeks. "yeah, i might have ordered a bit too much. you know, got caught up in the moment."

y/n laughed lightly, finding his reaction endearing. "enjoy your food then. goo—" before the cupid could finish her sentence, yeonjun spoke, "wanna have pizza with me?" he asked, almost feeling awful if he didn't offer any. y/n raised a brow but eventually agreed with a nod. yeonjun excused himself, mentioning he needed a moment to tidy up his place. "it's a bit messy right now," he admitted, a hint of embarrassment in his voice. 

"that's alright." she stood there awkwardly, waiting for yeonjun to return. after a quick 5 minutes, yeonjun returned and grinned. "sorry, it's still messy but not that messy. hope you don't mind."

"no, it's okay. don't worry." the cupid stepped in. it's neater than before, she noted. "what drink do you want? i got coke, sprite and beer. i'm settling with beer, by the way."

"coke please, thanks. let's dig in!" y/n said, grinning widely as she eyed the pizza and fried chicken on the table. yeonjun sat beside her and they both started to eat. whilst they eat, y/n's eyes couldn't help but wander to the speakers around and scattered dancing posters.

she pointed at them with a curious smile. "you like music?"

yeonjun's eyes lit up with a hint of nostalgia "yeah. i was a dancer."

"was? do you not dance anymore?"

a subtle change crossed yeonjun's expression. he sighed, a touch of melancholy in his voice. "not so much lately. life got busy, and... well, things change."

sensing the weight behind his words, y/n chose not to press further. instead, she changed the topic, hoping to learn more about yeonjun's life. "so, speaking of changes, do you have a girlfriend?" she asked, trying to keep the conversation light. i already know this but i need to ask so in the future, he won't be creeped out.

yeonjun's gaze shifted, and he let out a sigh before responding. "no, not anymore. we broke up."

"oh. i'm sorry to hear that. breakups can be tough. if you ever want to talk about it, i'm here."

please talk to me, yeonjun. i am here for you.

yeonjun managed a small smile, "it's okay.. if anything, i feel at fault." he opened up, easing a bit. "maybe it was because of me that we broke up. she looks so much more happier with her new boyfriend."

"no, yeonjun. it's not your fault. some relationships are not meant to last." it's the council's order to bring better happiness to every individual. it's so you can be happier, yeonjun. the cupid took a quick sip of the drink, wetting her mouth.

"i really wish we lasted though. i love her a lot. gosh, i was ready to risk my life for her." yeonjun laughed dryly, causing his cupid-of-a-friend to frown. "yeonjun, love has a way of making us vulnerable in ways we never imagined. it's a courageous thing to be willing to risk everything for someone you love. but sometimes, life takes unexpected turns, and it's not a reflection of your worth or the love you gave."

she reached out, placing a comforting hand on his arm. "you're allowed to feel the pain, but don't let it diminish the beautiful love you're capable of. the right person will see that, appreciate it, and reciprocate it in a way that aligns with your heart." she murmured comfortingly. yeonjun huffed, biting into his pizza.

"i promise you; you'll find someone better. mark my words, man. you will be happier in the future."