Chapter 35

"Sauti?!" said Lily.

"Paul and Amber are here also!" Saudi's voice echoed from the wall-mounted receiver in a new study room. It was the smallest yet and painted a neutral white. The small sofa was fuzzy and light teal. Lily's knees sunk into it as she leaned to be closer to the sound of her orphan family from her old pack.

"Gosh I miss you guys," said Lily.

"What's it like?!" said Sauti. "Tell us everything!"

"Um.." said Lily, where would she even start. The thought of telling them about becoming a Lycan seems uncomfortable. She wasn't sure why. "Wait you first!" She said instead. "How is everything? Is it any better there? Oh, and Genevieve? Is she doing ok? And then I can tell you about the castle, and all the amazing things that have happened."

"Things are the same here really," said Sauti, sounding sad. "But we're as strong as ever. Genevieve is doing good. She likes working on the laundry tasks.. but she has big dreams of someday training to become a warrior."

"Stay strong," said Lily. "Things will get better. I'm not sure when.. but I know it will..."

"Oh, we know Lily," said Amber. "Quite stalling already and tell us everything. Did you find your mate? What are they teaching you? Do you know when you'll come back?"

Lily laughed. It was so amazing to hear from her loved ones again. Despite the challenges she'd be facing, she was grateful that they were doing ok.

"Well," she said at last deciding it wasn't the right time to tell them about her transforming into a Lycan, or about the stress that that'd been causing. But that doesn't mean she didn't have an epic tale to tell them about the journey, and what the school is like. 

"Prepare yourselves, because it's quite a tale," said Lily.

"Are you ready?" said Anne. She and Lily had been passing notes all through their Thursday morning Life Principles class. It had been a dry lesson really and Lily's legs prickled due to inactivity.

"I think so," said Lily, going over the plan in her head. "You sure the access point is on the second floor?"

"Pretty sure," said Anne as they gathered their things and headed towards the door.

"That's the faculty level though," said Lily, "won't we get in trouble?"

"That's why we have to go right now," said Anne. "I've arranged it with a student aid who has access. He says he can leave it open between 11 and 11:45 without causing suspicion."

"But it's 11:15 already?!" said Lily.

"I know, but we have to try," said Anne. "There are three doors that will be unlocked. We'll have to find one that is empty, and then once we get in we'll..."

"Well what?" said Lily once it was clear that Anne wasn't going to finish.

"We'll.. figure it out from there," said Anne, taking another turn down a new corridor that was more secluded.

"And if we get caught?" said Lily.

"Best case? ..we'll get detention every night for the rest of the year," said Anne.

"And ..worse case?" said Lily, not sure if she wanted to know.

"Well technically, since you're a Lycan, you could be tried as an enemy to the state, and I your accomplice. And as such we could be imprisoned... or worse."

They came to the first door which was mercifully empty. Lily and Anne shared a glance. Neither seemed sure if they were ready for this.

"Is it worth it?" said Lily.

"If we can get the prophecy and hear it in full, then it is well worth it," said Anne.

"And.. if not?" said Lily.

"Then... at least we tried."

"Okay."

Updates every Wednesday/Friday! 🧡

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.