Chapter 32

"I'll keep your secret," said Ryan. "But I need something in return."

It was Tuesday afternoon, and Lily was on her way to class. She looked around the corridor which was thankfully empty for the moment.

"Um, maybe we could talk about this in a more private area after class?" said Lily, looking around again to make sure no one was listening in.

"No one will come," said Ryan. 

Lily watched him for a moment. Things seemed different now. Different after those hours they'd spent in their animal forms. How well their paces had matched as they ran. How comforting it had felt to not be alone. And yet, she couldn't be sure if Ryan in his human form was the same as he had been when they ran together.

"What do you require?" said Lily. She couldn't help to think that he might ask for money or something else that she wasn't able to give in return for keeping her secret about being a Lycan. She wondered if there was even any point... 

"I need you to take classes with me."

Lily was surprised. That hadn't been what she'd been expecting. "When? There isn't time." Lily thought about how her mornings were full already with homework, practice, and extra study. More often than not her evenings were as well. If not with meetings with Anne, then with the need to spend time in her shifted form to clear her mind.

"Right now," said Ryan. 

"But I have General Agility class."

"Do you think you need to be learning agility anymore?" said Ryan, sounding a bit exasperated.

"I... well I guess not," said Lily. "But it's against the rules."

"The school won't mind," said Ryan. "It's more important that you gain control of your abilities. Besides the agility class has only ever been a filler. Something to keep students busy and offer an energy outlet for them."

"Why teach me?" said Lily. "I mean.. what's in it for you?"

"We are Lycan Lily. It matters that we learn control, and work to be the best that we can be. If you lose control or hurt someone, it wouldn't just damage your reputation but the reputation of the Lycan population as a whole. We should practice and learn together anyway."

"Why not one of my professors?" said Lily.

"Because no shifter can teach us what we need to learn. Not really."

"You sure my ditching class is ok."

"I got approval for it," said Ryan, taking out a folded letter. 

Lily took a moment to read through the note. It was as Ryan had said. "How'd you manage that?"

"I have a talent for navigating school politics,"

"What do you mean by school politics?" said Lily, thinking about her recent conversation with Anne.

"All in good time," said Ryan. "There are other things we need to master before then."

"Hm," said Lily. She trusted Ryan, but she felt uncomfortable around him still. He represented an unknown. It didn't help that his lean, tall stature seemed so intimidating despite the casual flow of the conversation. "Alright," she said after a pause, deciding it wouldn't hurt to see what the classes would entail. 

"I know you don't trust the school Lily, and I don't blame you," said Anne. "But I still think that the smartest option is for you to go to them and confide In them about being a Lycan. There's a good chance they know already anyway. I mean a leopard as an animal form isn't exactly common."

"But I don't see how that would benefit me," said Lily. "I don't like how they keep Christy in chains-"

"But-" Anne started to say.

"I know why they do it," said Lily. "I do.. but the idea of being bound that way is horrible."

"They only bind her because she can't control her power yet."

"Oh, and I can?" said Lily taking a seat on the second bench by the hearth of one of their favorite study rooms.

"Maybe you can't entirely control it, but you're not hurting anyone with it are you," said Anne. "As such, they would have no reason to do something like that."

"I don't think I can trust them, Anne," said Lily. "It's nothing they've done specifically. It's just that growing up so isolated from the members of my pack... I think it makes it hard for me to trust people now."

"I understand," said Anne. "I don't mean to pressure you, Lily. I'm just thinking that if you did go to them.. then they would at least think you were more trusting and loyal to them than you are. They do mean well. And you talking with them would create a cordial relationship."

"I think I don't see why it would matter either way. I'm not a political kind of person. Just because I'm a Lycan now, doesn't mean I have any desire to govern or rule others.. or to do anything but help my orphan family from my old pack."

"I can understand that," said Anne. "Really Lily. But at the same time... you're a Lycan. And being a Lycan comes with responsibilities."

"I think that no matter what I am, or what title I'm given I have a right to be myself, and pursue the life that I desire.. regardless of what others might think is right for me."

"I'm sorry Lily," said Anne. "Please don't be mad. It's reasonable. I didn't mean to pressure you. It's just that ... I think this situation is much bigger than you realize. And that despite what you desire for yourself.. despite what you deserve... Being a Lycan suggests that you're going to be dragged into the situation whether you desire it or not."

"It's ok Anne. I understand," said Lily. "I just want to be happy and free. I don't want to be figuring out politics and whether someone is or isn't trustworthy all while also working so hard to try to control my abilities. There have been so many changes to my life recently, and I feel like talking to the current political powers right now is too much, too soon. And I think that if I ever were to get swept up into the mess of the shifter government, those in power shouldn't hold my decision to wait against me. Particularly when I need time to learn how to control my abilities."

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.