the read becomes the reader

On the way to the guest suites, Sham also pointed out the closet as we walked past. You would think it is a tiny little dresser hidden behind a door. You would be wrong. It's this big room that has rows and rows of clothing. Even seats and mirrors. Incredible. "Now, that's what I call a walk-in closet," I said quietly. It was more directed at myself but Nami agreed with big eyes and Zoro acknowledged it with a hum.

We were shown to our rooms. Nami and I shared one since there were only four. One room went to Usopp, the others to Zoro and Luffy. I decided to share with Nami than with any other. Nami tried to argue at first but knew the only other option was one of the boys. As far as we are concerned, it's just for a nice little bath. I let Nami go first, as a thank you for sharing a room and thereby a bathroom with me. I knew she would be taking a while to really enjoy this. I can't blame her. We should cherish the opportunity.
I sat on the bed and scribbled my newly gathered information in my notebook. I keep it with me in case I ever get dementia. I am actually very terrified of that. Death doesn't scare me but forgetting does.

I just finished writing about Buggy's devil fruit powers. I love to learn about devil fruits. There are so many different ones and no two people have the same powers. I heard one who has eaten a devil fruit will have to die so that this specific fruit with that specific power can bloom again and be eaten by the next being. Not only humans eat those fruits. There have been animals with powers too. However, Buggy's devil fruit belongs to the paramecia classification. Matter of factly, so does Luffy's.
I thought back to everything that had happened since then. Maybe there's something else important I've learned? Something worth writing down?

I flashed through the images in my head like flicking through a picture book. I stop, remembering the moment we opened the safe we had stolen back at the marine base. There was more in there. More than the map. I remember I wanted to get back to it, but before I could do so, Buggy had already taken us. He must have taken it off the boat with us. It wasn't there as we returned...
What did I see in there? A rolled-up wanted poster, a file that said classified, and a little black card. There was a skull and wings on the card. Is that supposed to be a pirate's business card? If it is, I have never seen a skull with wings before, not even on a jolly roger. No, wait. It's not a jolly roger. It's this weird tattoo I have seen on a couple of drunk bounty hunters and pirates before. Weird. I never thought much of the tattoo design before but that on a card? Does that mean?-

"Hey, Kairi." Zoro came in, he hunched down a little for me to see him better. Did I not notice him coming in? No one ever can sneak up on me, except him when I'm in my- "Another chain of thoughts?" he asks me. I am speechless at how well he knows me. He always knows when I am stuck in my head. He always knows how to get me out of it. And on top of that, he is the only person I don't need to keep my guard up around.

"How do you always know?" I ask, genuinely wantingto know. He laughs softly. "You do that thing, where you bit on the inside ofyour lips." I think about it. I have never really noticed- "There, you're doingit again." I stop. Looking at him, like he isn't supposed to see me at all. "Also,when you're trying to figure something out, you move your eyes really fast. Youtake these small looks around." He's right. I do that to subtly scan my environment.I thought no one could tell. "I thought I do those movements so unnoticeable,"I say disappointed in myself.
"To a stranger, they would go unnoticed. Not to me though." He smiles warmly atme. He has taken a seat next to me on the bed by now. My heart melts at hiswords. I didn't know anyone really noticed me. "You could never go unnoticed byme; Kairi." He said. That's almost too corny. "Stop making me blush!" I say. Nowhe is the one blushing a little. He coughs a little to cover it. Nami opens thedoor, singing, only covered in a towel.
Zoro and I gasp, but I quickly cover his eyes, before Nami gets uncomfortable.She opens her eyes and screams "ZORO! What are you doing here?!" "I-" "OUT!"She didn't even let him answer her question. But I stop myself from sayinganything because I see that vein on her forehead again. Zoro gets up quickly,heading straight for the door. My hand fell off his eyes in the process.Nami closes her eyes trying to calm her nerves. "Oh Kairi, talk to you later?"Zoro puts his head through the almost closed door, awaiting my answer. I nod asNami screams "OUT!" "Tell your boyfriend to come by at another time. Maybe atime when I am not stripping naked in front of you guys?!" "We'll try," I say quickly."Wait, he's not my-" And with that, she slammed the bathroom door shut.
Boyfriend? He could never- I mean, we couldn't possibly- What? No... I- NOO. He'smy best friend! The only one who can read me like an open book and the only oneI let my guard down around but he is my best friend!-
"You can go now," Nami said, lying down on the bed. I gather my things and gotake my bath.