watching over zoro

The two Baratie-Workers have left since I assured them I can put the bandaid on for them. They seemed to be in a bit of a hurry. I guess it is around brunchtime. Usopp and Luffy held Zoro while I wrapped all the fishskin securely to his body, but not too tight. In the meantime, Nami had laid out diverse blankets on the swinging table in the room next door. Once I was done, we all heaped him up to his resting place, where he would be sleeping for the foreseeable future. 

Sanji came back after preparing brunch and decided to cook something for us. Luffy and Usopp are in there too, conversing with him. I have been sitting with Zoro for a while now. I'd guess maybe two hours. I even brought my book along but I just can't seem to take my eyes off Zoro. It's like he'd disappear once I look away.
I told him a couple of stories from back home, but I never really finished any. Kuina is in pretty much every single memory I have from those times. I just start hysterically sobbing. That's why I usually don't speak of my past.
I'd been holding his hand for the entire time since the others had left. Mine starts to get clammy, so I pull it back and wipe it on my bottoms. "Don't-" I cough "Don't worry I'm not leaving you." I barely managed to croak. My throat is exceptionally dry. I might have to leave his side for just a few seconds to get myself a glass of water. "I'll be back in a jiff." With that, I rush to leave for the kitchen, not before looking back on more time.

As I walk into the kitchen, Luffy is polishing Zoro's swords, Sanji is preparing Onigiri and fish, and Usopp is just watching. Usopp announces my arrival "Oh hi, Kairi." "Hi boys," I say. and head straight for the sink. "Would you like some Onigiri, my lady? Or perhaps a beautiful carmen di fish fillet?" Sanji's voice has risen from what I've heard next door.  "No thanks, I don't really feel like eating right now. I do appreciate it, though." "Of course, anytime."
"Great job on the swords there Luffy." "Thanks! Gotta keep them ready for when Zoro wakes up." My glass is filled, so I make my way back towards the door. "You're absolutely right!" with that, I leave.
I overhear Usopp trying to prepare Luffy for the possibility that Zoro won't wake up. I'm glad I left when I did, but I'm even more glad that Luffy didn't lose any hope. I close the door quietly.

Just as I took my seat beside Zoro, Nami came in with a book and closed the door behind her. "Hey," I look up and smile weakly. "I think you should take a little break. You've been sitting here for hours just staring. I get that you're not really up for talking. I've got a story I can read to him if you'd like, you can take a little break." I consider it for a second. I didn't really want to leave him but I also didn't want to talk. It's better for him hearing something, or better yet someone. "Thanks, Nami." I scootched over so she could take the seat next to me. She starts reading as I enjoy the rest of my water. Halfway through the story, I leave for the bathroom, only to be met by Luffy at the door.
He starts conversing with Nami, but I'd be back in a bit to join.

Once I'm in the hallway I hear the two discussing loudly and Nami passes me agitated. "He's all yours. And Luffy too." She says not even looking back. She has it out for anyone at this point, doesn't she? To be honest, I am way too tired to be part of a fight. I consider myself lucky to be away for the duration of the fight.
I walk back in and take my usual seat. Luffy looks a little puzzled. "Do I even wanna know?" He exhales deeply and shakes his head. I pat the seat beside me. 

At first, we were just quietly watching him. "I think you're a great captain, by the way. I would serve no other." He looks at me a little surprised like he doesn't know what to say. "I assume Nami has made you feel like it's your fault Zoro did what he did. I want you to know it's not true. What you did was the right thing. Zoro and I honor that. No one should get in the way of anyone's fight. We both know he would have done it with or without your approval, regardless. It was his dream after all." He smiles and looks back down at Zoro. "Thanks, Kairi. It means a lot coming from you." I join Luffy's gaze. "Anytime, captain."

A comfortable silence has settled over us. That's until Usopp came in. "How's he doing?" "He seems stable," I answer. Luffy and my gaze trained on the injured. Usopp seems hesitant. "Didn't Zeff say we're supposed to talk to him? He puts a hand on Luffy, who thus feels the need to answer. "What would I be saying?"  "I don't know, just say something that comes from the gut." "My gut hasn't been so well lately." "That's not true. Also, it really could be anything. Nami read him a children's story. I know if he were awake he would have hated it, but at least he knows we're here." "Yeah, at least he'll know it's you." Usopp backs me up.

Luffy nods and leans closer to Zoro. I lean back, not to be interfering and Usopp halfheartedly sits on the arm of my seat. "Hey, Zoro!" Luffy basically screams at him "What's up? I just wanted to tell you that..." he shakes his head "Let me start over." he continues struggling to find the right words as Nami shouts his nami fanatically. He gets up and checks the hall for her. Usopp and I share a questioning look. We get up to follow. I whisper to Zoro that I'll be back for him.