Side Story - Chapter 2 - Pete

Vegas' POV

"Because he was not the one who betrayed my daughter."

"...?!..."

"Daddy! Daddy!"

Before Grandma can say anything else, Venice jumps to my lap, hugging me tight.

"Hey, Buddy! How's school today?!"

I cherish those moments with him so much. Moments I didn't care about before.

"Is it the right time to relive the past, Jui?!"  Grandpa Noi looks at Grandma with seriousness in his eyes.

He picked up Venice from the nursery but arrived in time to hear Grandma speaking.

Usually Grandpa is serene, but his countenance is heavy now.

"Why not?! Vegas must be prepared." Grandma Jui and Grandpa Noi look at me intensely. "But not today" Grandma suddenly smiles.

...

Next day - In front of Nursery

"Daddy, Daddy, play with me!!" Venice started to pull me.

"Let's play in the park with Venice for a bit, son. We don't have much time before Pete comes home."

"Okay..."

We crossed to the playground across the street. Security guards accompany us.

"Don't worry. The bodyguards won't say anything. Loyalty is absolute in the clan. Those bodyguards are mine, not Pete's. They only obey me and Grandpa."

"How can you be so sure, Grandma?! Weren't you talking about betrayal?!"

"Betrayal usually doesn't happen at low levels, son. It's always at the top."

"What were you going to talk about your daughter, Pete's mother?!"

"Daddy!!" Venice interrupts us.

Venice climbs to the top of a large children's slide helped by Grandpa Noi.

He hesitates a little.

"Come on, son! Dad will get you down here!"

Venice slides down, smiling brightly.

"Hey! You're so brave, buddy!"

He hugs me, happy with my compliment.

"Just like your father."

"Uh?!" I turn to Grandma Jui.

"You probably don't remember those moments, did you?!"

"In my memory, I never had this kind of moment with him, Grandma...all because of Uncle Korn" Sadness and anger fill my heart and make me hold tight to Venice, who complains. "Sorry, son"

"But you had, son. You just don't remember those happy moments."

"How do you know, grandma?!"

"Because I saw it. I was there."

...

Grandma Jui's POV (past memories)

"Dinner is served!"

Kan turns to see me from the beach.

"Thank you, Grandma! We'll be there in a minute!"

"Come on, guys..."

"SPLASH!"

Those three boys continue throwing seawater at Kan.

"Hey!!"