Chapter Twenty-Two

"An infiltration mission?"

Ahsoka had just finished explaining to Rex why we had come to visit him. Rex sat back in his seat, stroking his white beard. Ahsoka, Sabine, and I were sitting across the table, getting shot suspicious glares from the man with the scar. I noticed his attention was mainly focused on me.

"You have much experience that we could use," Ahsoka said, leaning forward. Her hands were fidgeting. "I should know. I fought alongside you for many years. You helped to regain Lothal from the Empire as well. Your skills have not gone."

"Yeah, 'cause they're engraved into our heads," the man with the scar, Wolffe, scowled. "We... we already lost Gregor helping you lot."

"He died for a noble cause," Rex said comfortingly. "He was proud to have gone like that."

"But still—"

"Why don't you tell us how you've been?" Rex asked. "It's been a while."

"I would love that more than anything," Ahsoka said. "But unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of waiting. Four rotations. We're on a tight schedule if we are to plan carefully and accordingly. That is, if you decide to help us."

"Spoken like a true commander," Rex grinned. Then he sighed. "Although... I don't know how much I can help."

"What do you mean?" Sabine asked, but it wasn't the same tone she would've used with me. It was more of concern rather than frustration.

Rex lifted his right arm and I realized he was wearing a glove over it, unlike his other hand. He pulled the glove off to reveal an old and rusted mechanical arm. The metal looked as though it wouldn't last another day.

Ahsoka's eyes widened. "What..."

"A joopa," Rex said. "We were hunting, made a wrong move, and it bit my arm off. We were able to patch it up temporarily, but as you can probably tell, this fix isn't going to last much longer. I'll live, sure, but only with one of my arms."

Rex managed a smile, but Ahsoka looked hurt as though a joopa, whatever that was, had bitten off her arm. Even Sabine didn't like the sight of the metal replacement.

"I- I didn't know," Ahsoka finally said, shaking herself out of her trance. "I'm sorry. We could find someone else if you would like. I bet it would be nice to rest for a while."

I could tell there was a bit of longing in her voice when she said that.

"I apologize if this complicates matters," Rex said. "Truly. But I'm afraid I would only slow you three down in this infiltration of yours. Especially if it's in four rotations."

I wished I could keep my mouth shut, but apparently, that wasn't a skill I had. My dumb self had thought it would be a good idea to blurt out, "I know where you can find a new arm. A brand new one."

Suddenly all eyes were on me. Wolffe seemed on the brink of laughing, but he held it in. Sabine frowned. Rex studied me curiously.

"Ahsoka's apprentice," Rex chuckled at the thought. "Elayne Starwind, is it?"

I lowered my head. "Erm, yeah."

"Tell me. Has Ahsoka been teaching you well?"

"Of course," I said like it was obvious. "She's a great master. You're lucky to have her as a commander and friend."

Rex smiled and I looked up at Ahsoka, but she wasn't listening. If she was, she didn't show any reaction to what I had just said. I looked back down.

"Yes, she certainly is," Rex said. "But I'm sure she, as well as you, will understand that some things are not worth saving."

I blinked. "What? Everything's worth saving, I'm sure."

"When you've lived through a war and survived," Rex said, "You learn that you can't save everything and everyone. Sometimes, sacrifices must be made. My arm is but the smallest sacrifice I've made in my lifetime."

"But it can't be that hard to find you a new arm," I persisted. "I know exactly where I can get one. Back on my home planet — er, childhood planet — there were traders who sold brand new metal arms. I stole a couple back then, but with the new Jedi mind trick Ahsoka's teaching me—"

"Elayne," Sabine interrupted. "Don't you get it? Rex doesn't want it. And Ahsoka wouldn't want you to steal using the Force."

I pursed my lips, clutching my fists, but Sabine was right. Even if I had succeeded in doing the Jedi mind trick, something I still couldn't do, Rex would never accept it. And Ahsoka wouldn't let me in the first place.

"But then... why'd we come here?" I asked quietly. There was a silence in the room until the person I least expected to break it did.

"I'll go," Wolffe said. 

I hesitated. "Really?"

"You seem like a good kid," Wolffe said in a rough voice. He crossed his arms. "And Ahsoka and Sabine are both good teammates. I'll help you three, but not for Ezra. For Commander Rex."

Rex smiled gratefully at Wolffe. "I appreciate it, mate."

"Okay, then," Ahsoka said, recovered from the shock that her friend had lost his arm. "Here's the game plan."

A/N

Shorter chapter today (or this week?), but here ya go!

Vote, comment, and see ya later ✌️