Chapter Fifteen

"Psychometry?" I asked.

"It's a very rare ability that some Jedi are born with," Ahsoka explained. "You can touch any inanimate object and feel it's past."

"It's past..." I muttered. "So the boulder I touched had gone through some serious depression problems."

"Not the boulder itself, but the people who touched it before you," Ahsoka corrected. "Or sometimes, if you're lucky, after."

I blinked. "That's. So. COOL!"

"But dangerous," Ahsoka added. "Without practice, you'll faint most every time you try it."

"Which is what happened today," I said.

"Yes," Ahsoka agreed.

"But why did the boulder radiate anger and betrayal out in the peaceful forest?" I asked.

"Order 66," Ahsoka sighed. "The day our loyal clone troopers betrayed every single Jedi to the core. Jedi who are alive hide and try to find force sensitive children like you to train. Although, I haven't found any myself..."

The troopers didn't sound so "loyal."

"So you're saying that boulder was the site of a significant war?" I asked. "Where a Jedi once stood, trying to protect themself from their own team?"

"Unfortunately," Ahsoka looked away. "And this bed. It's where people suffered, but with the help of doctors, survived. Then they were happy."

"I can't believe I have this power," I said. "And the first time I use it scares me half to death. Literally."

"I can assist with your training, but I don't have the experience you need," Ashoka suggested. "We may need to find another Jedi... Another Jedi who understands your power."

"Is that even possible?" I asked. "I mean, with you and Sabine looking for Ezra already and you training me, not to mention there are hardly any Jedi to look for, how can we fit in another task?"

"We can make do," Ahsoka promised. "We always do."

I groaned and picked myself up from the bed. "No. I can't let you do that for me. Sabine's right, I'm just in the way. Leave me here, where I can be helpful!"

"You would be very helpful with us on our search," Ahsoka said. "That I can assure you."

"If I wasn't force sensitive, maybe," I sighed. "Then you wouldn't have to train me. Then you wouldn't even have found me."

Ahsoka put her hand on her forehead, letting out a small breath. "Elayne, we can't change the unchangeable. But we can plan for the future. Sometimes when you're a Jedi, making good decisions isn't easy. In fact, it's not just Jedi who have to make hard but right decisions. But whether or not you were born to wield a lightsaber or a blaster, whether you were destined to save or kill, you were brought to Sabine and I for a reason. Not so you could get in our way, but so you could help. Trust me, I have experience."

"And in your book, experience outranks everything," I chuckled. "Thanks, Master. I never took you for a person who gives emotional speeches, but that helped. Really."

"Glad I could do something to cheer you up," Ahsoka said. "But you need to choose. And be certain and truthful this time. Are you really sure you want to stay here? After today... Well, let's just say there's no more options."

I could have easily said yes. To stay at this base, safe from harm. But, I suppose, where would be the fun in that?

"I'm in."

~~

"Elayne!"

I turned around, startled to see the same young boy I had failed in keeping safe running toward me, a wide grin on his face.

"You're okay!" I exclaimed, relieved.

"Of course I'm okay," Jacen rolled his eyes like it was obvious. "I'm a Jedi!"

"Of course you are," I agreed and rustled his hair. "So, how you holding up after that boulder incident?"

Jacen's smile faded. "I'm grounded from going to the woods now. Mom said she has to go with me if I want to go out there, and she is always busy, so that's probably never."

"Hey, never say never," I tilted my head. "Being grounded from the woods won't change your destiny of being a Jedi. I can see it engraved permanently in stone."

Jacen laughed proudly. "So can I. I am Jacen Syndulla, and nothing will stop me from reaching my dream! Um, except for my mom, maybe."

"Don't hold a grudge against your mom," I said sternly, trying to sound like the Jedi Master Jacen wanted me to be. "She's only trying to protect you."

"I don't need protection," Jacen huphed. "In fact, I'm the one who saved you. You're welcome."

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh really?"

One thing I've learned with Jacen was to let him have his fun. If he believed something, there was no telling him otherwise.

"Yeah, I did!" Jacen nodded approvingly. "I saved you all by myself! First, I used the Force to carry you onto my back, then I used Force super strength to carry you all the way here. Then, I used my Force healing to save you from certain death! You're alive because of me."

Even though I knew it wasn't true, I played along. "Wow, that sounded like such an amazing journey! I would love to hear about it before I leave the planet."

"You're leaving the planet?" Jacen asked.

Oh.

He didn't know.

"Tell me all about your story, and when I come back, I'll tell you mine. Maybe we'll see who's is better. Probably mine." I winked.

"Okay..." Jacen crossed his arms. "So, I first had to climb this crazy mountain! It was taller than the atmosphere. Afterwards, I fought this huge monster..."

I trailed off of his story, occasionally nodding to make sure he still thought I was listening. My eyes drifted to the sky, imagining me sailing through the stars on a space ship, taking down bad guys one by one. Using the Force to stop people on the dark side while stranded on cruise ships with no reinforcements coming.

Yeah, that was the life I was about to walk into.

But was I ready? Was I ready for all the action? And could I keep up with Ahsoka's standards and high Jedi training?

Or even survive?