Chapter Eight

While Ahsoka and I waited for Sabine to meet with us at the ship, Ahsoka talked to me about what I did wrong with the Force trick.

"You need to will them to do it," Ahsoka explained. "You simply said words. No man would listen to that."

"How do you incorporate the Force in to it?" I asked.

"Remember when you thought about the taste of the fruit in addition to it coming to you?" Ahsoka answered with a question.

"Yeah," I said. Then my eyes widened. "Do I have to imagine me enjoying the blanket? That's practically impossible. It had holes in it! How will that keep you warm?"

"Perhaps the idea of a holey blanket wasn't the best first try," Ahsoka admitted. "But if you never practice, you'll never get it. By the way, this trick is called the Jedi Mind Trick."

"That's the most boring name ever," I laughed.

Ahsoka laughed with me. "Not the most creative, I agree. So do it again."

"On who?" I asked.

"On her," Ahsoka said and pointed to the doorway. I was about to ask what she was talking about when Sabine walked in, her helmet on still.

"Do it," Ahsoka urged and I stood up.

I walked forward to Sabine and Sabine pulled her helmet off. "What do you want now?"

What did I want? I searched Sabine and my eyes landed on her blaster.

Ahsoka remembered my collection of blasters. I had forgotten all about that.

"Hey," I said, trying to sound nice like I did with the old man back at the town.

"I said, 'What do you want?'" Sabine repeated. Her eyebrows were knit.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Then I waved my hand. Last time, third time was the charm. What about now?

"You will give me your blaster," I said.

Sabine froze, as if confused, then she started laughing so hard. "You really tried that on me? You're crazy!"

A rush of embarrassment ran through my mind. Ahsoka just had to make me do it on Sabine of all people. When I was trying it on the old man, I didn't much care because I didn't really know him. Now... Well, let's just say I wasn't as careless as before.

"At least I tried," I snapped. "Was Ezra any better on his first day of training?"

Sabine gritted her teeth. "How dare you compare yourself to Ezra. Are you trying to replace him? Because you won't. You never will."

"I never wanted anything to do with him or you!" I yelled. "All I want to do is train with Ahsoka and become a Jedi!"

Sabine and I got into each other's faces, Sabine's hands close to her blaster, mine clutched in fists. In two quick seconds, Sabine pulled her gun up and aimed at me.

In the same two seconds, Ahsoka intervened and blocked the blast with her white lightsaber.

So she wasn't playing tricks with me when she said her lightsabers were white.

Either way, she saved me, and the look on her face wasn't pleasant.

"Sabine," She said sternly. "Don't let your anger control you. You cannot kill people for small quarrels like this!"

"She insulted Ezra," Sabine growled. "I won't be having that on this ship."

"This isn't your ship," Ahsoka countered. "Elayne and I will train here, so you two have to learn to get along. Both of you."