"Alive."

Well that wasn't much fun. Owen drove clear of the truck's cab just as two ATVs came into view, guns aimed in their direction. In one of them stood the man Hobbs wanted.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." There was something mildly disturbing about how casually he spoke, staring straight at Owen. As if he knew exactly who he was addressing. "You two are meant to survive this, or else there'll be wrath from up on high."

Wrath? Owen chuckled. This bastard knew nothing of wrath. Or of them. The aftermath of what Deckard had done was proof enough that the Shaws were a level above Toretto's usual enemies.

"And as far as I can tell," Jakob continued, "queen bees don't make idle threats."

Queen bees…What was that supposed to mean? Had Cipher's ego grown so big that she now referred to herself as royalty?

Or—No, it couldn't be. Owen was overthinking it. This guy was just talking shit, right? Unless Elizabeth had fed Cipher information.

Because this bloke couldn't possibly know their almost-thirty-year-old nicknames without one of his sisters opening their mouths. From school records to criminal and military, anything pertaining to their pasts had been locked down tight.

But the minor details that went ignored by most people, well, they weren't written down at all.

"Hey, I need you on my six," Owen said. "Keep it steady."

Behind the Shaws, the trailer jackknifed as the tyres lost all traction. It swung wildly across the road, blocking most of the highway. Tilting like it were seconds away from rolling and taking them out.

"Owen, you were right," Deckard said, checking his side mirror. The trailer rocked from right to left and back again, teetering precariously before its left wheels touched the highway once more. It had to be pushing 110mph, and when gravity finally won out… "It's too late."

Hobbs cursed under his breath. If they let Jakob go now, they'd lose the only advantage they had: a direct line to Cipher. With him in custody, the team could potentially utilise that. "Reisner, get around the truck any way you can! I'll take him down myself."

"I don't think that's a good—"

Boom.

Eric jerked the steering wheel to the right, sending them off the highway and onto the desert plain. As he did, the truck's cab erupted into a fireball, exploding and sending shrapnel flying in every direction. The trailer itself tipped over and into a roll, hurtling violently forward towards the Shaws.

"Hey! I told you…" Luke turned to look over his shoulder, eyes wide as he stared at the truck. Twisted, burning metal stood in place of the cab, giving off a heat so severe it raised the air temperature by more than a few degrees. "Deckard, where the hell is he?"

"Going east. Two o'clock. He's running for the plane!"

It was a good guess. In the chaos of the incendiary round taking out the truck's cab, unleashing the trailer, Jakob had ordered the ATV's driver to floor it and cut across the highway. So while the Shaws tried to outrun what chased them, he opted for evasive measures by any means necessary.

"Anyone up there listening?" Jakob looked upward, eyes scanning the sky for any glimpse of Cipher's plane. "I need a rolling pickup! Currently half a klick due east of the road, following a northeast trajectory."

"Lose the tails first."

Tails? He whipped his head around and came to focus on the miniature convoy closing the distance Jakob had gained. Save for the Shaws, the entirety of Toretto's team were all speeding toward him, spread out but driving as one. Like sharks herding fish, they moved with purpose.