Chapter 9

"So Hobbs thinks we just gon' roll up on Cipher, grab her, and drop her ass off at the nearest prison."

"That's exactly what we're gonna do." Tej gave Roman one of his 'I have a plan' smiles. Sometimes you had to do exactly what the enemy expected so as to not get blown up later. Well, maybe not a plan per se but he had a couple ideas, but those were still based on guesswork and crossed fingers.

"You know it's not going to be that simple." Ramsey looked at Tej and sighed in exasperation. Was this his ego talking or had he just forgotten what'd happened in Vladovin? Although Dom was on their side this time, nothing about the mission suggested it would play out that easily.

"It's better than sitting around waiting for her to come to us." Letty allowed herself a glance at Dom, hunched over the kitchen table with Brian, sheet upon sheet of schematics and maps laid out before them. He hadn't said a word all day to anyone but Brian except for a casual 'Hey' to the team when they arrived. Instead of meeting them at the airport as planned, Dom had texted them to say they could make their own way to the house. "We can't afford to waste time if we're going to survive this thing."

Letty had a point. Tej couldn't deny that. They were all talking as if they were scared of what was coming next, he thought. Like improvisation wouldn't keep them alive as it had the past few years. Even he'd gotten sucked into admitting he wasn't confident in their chances of survival. "You saw what Jakande had coming out of that bus, right? Take that and make it a hundred times worse."

"Yes, Tej, I remember." But did he? That'd been Jakande, not Cipher. The difference wasn't a big one, but Cipher's only real weapon during their previous encounter had been Dom. Other than him, Cipher hadn't thrown much of anything their way (not counting the submarine). "But worrying about her artillery is pointless if we don't know where she is."

"Hey, Letty, you got a minute?" Mia asked, leaning over the stair railing. "I need to talk to you about something."

Thank God. She'd needed an escape from the team. Everyone's egos had been progressively inflating as they talked about plans and that kind of shit led to people getting hurt. It was something Owen Shaw had warded off with his 'show them the respect they deserve or it weakens us' spiel, not that it'd mattered in the end. Half of Shaw's team had ended up dead in Spain and who knew how many survived afterwards.

"What's up?" Letty unclenched her fists and jaw, pushed off the couch and followed Mia upstairs. "Is something wrong?"

Mia shook her head and sat on the edge of Dom and Letty's bed before flopping backwards. She stretched her legs out, feet dangling off the edge. "No. Just wanted to see how you're doing."

"I'm—" She collapsed onto the mattress next to Mia and rubbed her temples. Letty rolled over to face her and immediately found herself on the receiving end of a serious look. It was as if Mia were saying 'are you really gonna lie to me?'. "Fuck, I don't know. This whole thing is just messing with my head. The last thing I ever wanted was to be in the same room as him again."

"Because he's hot and you liked him or because you want to kick his ass?"

"Both, maybe. That guy scares the shit out of me, Mia. He was ruthless, killed so many people . . . and he was efficient. The way we completed jobs, we were in and out in under two minutes."

"And what about that other thing?"

Mia was going to have to be more specific because Letty didn't have a damn clue which 'thing' she meant. "Um?"

"Your period, idiot." Mia flicked her lightly in the head. They didn't often get to hang out like this anymore, but Mia was enjoying the moment right now. It felt familiar, safe. Comfortable. "It's been two months since your last one, right?"