Jack and Marcus chased each other around the house, albeit slowly. Marcus could only walk so fast without losing his balance. And Sophie, well, she had much more interesting things to do than run around the house. There were cupboards not investigated and beds she'd not yet hidden beneath; she'd also discovered a door left open that was normally her proverbial undefeated Goliath.

She was the spitting image of her mom too, with dark brown hair and those warm Toretto eyes that lit up at the sight of a muscle car. Sophie hadn't yet decided whether crashing cars into dolls or masterminding car wrecks in her room was more fun, but in the end it didn't matter for her. It all led to a pile of adventure on the carpet of her and Jack's room, one which she could partake in.

Dom wandered across the road after he woke to find the house empty and Letty's note on the table. Brian and Mia were sitting on the front step, and Letty was now chasing all three kids around the yard. Marcus waved but kept walking till at last he tripped and faceplanted the grass only to push himself up and begin giggling. Dom just smiled, crouched on the lawn, and opened his arms wide so Marcus could run into them if he wanted to.

"Papa!"

He grunted and fell back onto the grass when Marcus jumped on him. With the warmth of the sun on his face and a large toddler clambering up his chest, Dom felt more relaxed and at ease than he had all night. His son would be safe with Elena, he told himself, he had no doubts about her capability to protect Marcus but still he worried about her.

"You ready to go home?"

"Here." Marcus patted Dom's chest. He'd picked up a few more words over the past two weeks, enough that it seemed like he truly did understand what everyone was saying. "Home."

"I know, but Papa's gotta go drive cars." He sighed and reached up to pat Marcus's hair down as it was blown every which way by the wind. It didn't take long before Letty decided to join him on the grass and Dom found his head lifted into her lap. To some it probably seemed like a small gesture, but Letty knew how significant it was to Dom. Throughout all their years, he'd been the one to lift her, till Mexico. Then she chose to combine her weight with his and somehow carried them both, hoping that would've been their last encounter with the law, and solidifying further the level of his respect that she already had. "And Mama would kill me if I left you here alone."

You're not wrong about that, she thought. Letty waved when she saw Elena in her small Nissan pull into their driveway with Marcus's seat in the back. Finally, the combination of fear and impatience that had been weighing her down since she found the note could be lifted off her chest. Before Cipher's interference in their lives, Letty might've found herself resenting what'd happened between Dom and Elena; it was fortunate then she'd felt the pain of loss and fear come Dom's sudden betrayal, and found herself understanding how much someone could need the emotional support provided by a sympathetic ear. "Should I talk to her, or do you want to do it?"

Dom lifted his head from her lap and sat upright. "This involves all of us now," he said, passing Marcus to Letty so he could get to his feet. Dom helped her up and walked over to their house with Marcus and Letty in tow. "I—" He was weak when it came to her. Dom was brave enough to admit that now. She was the most important person in his life and he couldn't lose her again. "I need you with me on this, Letty."

"You know I'll ride with you." She squeezed his free hand and smiled. "Because I'm not ready to die, you got that?"

* * *

He said nothing to any of them once things calmed down, not even Eric. Shaw separated herself from her brothers, and Deckard and Owen went outside to 'talk'. Luke found himself a canvas seat and slumped down on the netting, groaned and stretched his arms, and waited for their ride to arrive. Now that the wild goose chase was over, they could get down to business and start hunting Cipher.