Victor Hart: Case #5 Chapter 4

Caughlin gave Victor a look and wondered whether Brewster was about to confess to them right then and there in his office.

“I must ask you Mr Brewster,” Victor began, “where were you the night before last?”

“What? Oh, don't you know?” Brewster seemed confused. “You don't recognise me?”

Victor realised he was talking to Caughlin, he looked between them in surprise.

“I'm sorry...” Caughlin too was confused but a little embarrassed.

“I didn't do the shake because of the thumb;” Brewster explained, “some people find it unpleasant... here take a look.”

Brewster flipped the lapel of his jacket over revealing a small blue and gold masonic pin, “I was at the Grand Lodge that night for the meeting, I remembered your name, that's why I let you in without an appointment.”

“You're a Mason?” Caughlin seemed disgusted.

“I thought you knew...” Brewster said, “I certainly wouldn't have told you all this if I didn't think you could be trusted...”

“But what you do goes against everything that we stand for!” Caughlin stood up, shaking with rage. “What about Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and regard your neighbour’s loss as your own loss? How can you wear that pin, stand in the lodge knowing that you're a liar, a thief and a blackguard?! It's despicable!”

“Oh dear,” Brewster shook his head, “you're an idealist.”

“Look, calm down,” Victor soothed Caughlin, “maybe you should wait in the Mainspring?”

“Maybe I should,” Caughlin spat, “I've no desire to enjoy the hospitality of this scoundrel any longer.”

Caughlin stormed out.

“Never mind my idealistic friend,” Victor relaxed into his chair, “You say you were at the lodge? I, too, did not see you there, and just earlier you spoke the two names of the dead...”

“Oh, it was Devoy and Gouldrick who were murdered?” Brewster seemed genuinely surprised to Victor.

“Indeed,” Victor watched Brewster's face like a hawk, looking for tell-tale patterns of dishonesty.

“I had no liking for the pair, and I won't pretend I’m sorry they came to a sticky end, and I may be many things, but I’m not a murderer. My alibi is sound;” Brewster spoke earnestly. “Just check with your employer, Tobias Burgrave. I was sitting next to him all night, and then went for a nightcap afterwards at his home.”

Victor met Caughlin at the Mainspring downstairs.

“Insufferable man,” Caughlin was still angry, “what did he say?”

“He says Burgrave will vouch for his whereabouts,” Victor informed. “Can we trust Burgrave?”

“For Burgrave the tenets of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth are not just words,” Caughlin said, “they are a design for life, a creed to live by. Yes, we can trust him.

“I'm very glad you said that,” Victor was relieved, “as I would hate to bite the hand that feeds - implicate the man who pays my bills in a murder.”

“Well, it seems we are at an impasse, correct?” Caughlin asked, “I have literally not a single idea where to go from here.”

“There is one thing we could try,” Victor said, “but it involves enlisting some Freemason help.”

“What is it?” Caughlin asked.

“Well, I still think the answer might be in the appointment books, but they are too complex and lengthy for one man to solve; maybe the Data-Reservoir engine could tell us what's in there?”